Cold air intake = better fuel econ. ???

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by aan310, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I was told today that it does... I really don't know, but i think he (guy who said this) is wrong... is he? :D

2. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Well yes, but not as much as they claim. Its will all depend on the car and the manufacturer of the intake. A quality intake system on a car that was engineered on its sweet spot will gain more HP, and maybe some gas mileage. But then again those who buy a cold air intake usually don't have a light foot so if there are gains to be had fuel mileage wise they are more then negated by the lead foot.

Basically what colder air (lets be honest it isnt cold air just cooler then being sucked from the engine bay) is denser then normal intake air. Match that with more fuel and you get more power theoretically. Now this again is all dependent on many many factors, and one day you could get a noticeable butt dyno, and the next your car could feel stock again. Now since you'll be possibly reading more air (denser air = more molecules) they theoretically you'll be pumping more fuel in as well. Again this all depends on certain variables like MAF data, fuel mapping, long term and short term fuel trims and so on.

3. WankelRotor

WankelRotor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ^ agreed. CAI will give you better mpg but mostly on highways since you have a steady foot there. Anywhere else the gains arent noticeable. You also probably want a new exhaust with it as well and a midpipe so that you have a full, proper air flow in your car.

4. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    usually a cold air kit is just an airfilter with some piping that helps promote better airflow... you're going to see minimal power gains unless you have some sort of forced air induction system on. then you'll see more notable gains.

as for better fuel rating, if the engine runs cooler, you can see a bit better fuel economy - however,like Liquidxit2 said, denser / cooler air promotes better power ratings so generally with higher power, it leads to lower fuel rating.

5. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well looks liek i was wrong xD

Thanks for clarifying guys!

6. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I've got one on the 6.7L, and I'm thinking of modding it to a forced air intake, that would also isolate it from the engine bay more too. Basically the colder the intake air is the colder the exhaust it, the colder my exhaust the more boost I can run without burning up my turbo(it gets hot at 45+ psi). Of course I've also got a 5" TBE so it can breath good on that end too. But yes, the colder and easier it is to get air the better mileage you can get out of the engine. Some air boxes I will drill holes in to let them breath a bit more(this is very common on ATV's), but you want to be sure you do those pre-filter. ;)

7. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Cooler air is more dense and packs in more oxygen particles per square inch, which combustion engines love. So a rush of fresher and cooler air from the outside will be better than sucking in warmer air in the engine bay.

8. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    Greater Delta T so more energy change when warming up, that one of the reasons rockets they use liquid oxygen is because it is so cold

9. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Nitrous is practically oxygen, 1 part nitrogen 2 parts oxygen. The nitrogen just acts as a cooling stabilizer.

10. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    It is also better for the engine, as it helps cool the engine

The advantages are pretty much negligable on paper, so dont go thinking your going to get 100hp gain and more fuel economy. Its not going to happen.

A cool, clean running engine will perform substantially better than a dirty one. Cleaning your engine, and maintaining it will yield more power than an air filter.

Also as a side note higher altitudes yield lower oxygen levels per unit volume of air, so the higher altitude you are, the less power you are going to get.

I know from my Detroit Series 53 manual, it is a 3Hp per cylinder loss , per 1000Ft gain in altitude.

K-TRON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.