Coffee Lake - Owners Lounge and Discussion

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Talon, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Talk with @Johnksss@iBUYPOWER

2. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    does he come on these boards? I'm guessing he works for Ibuypower? I know Mr. fox ordered from them recently and I know hes really happy with his build. But id really like to have the 8700k delidded so I can overclock it without having to worry about heat as much. that's why I was also looking at the 8600K which from what ive seen so far is an overclocking beast.

3. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    If you have the money... Go for 8700K. Johnksss is tagged and is usually on the forum. If he don't see it, maybe bro @Mr. Fox can remind him on the post.

Talon likes this.
  4. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    8700K all day. The 8600K is a great chip no doubt, but the 8700K is going to get your years of additional gaming without the worry of any bottlenecks.

Look at this video and the 8600K OC to 5.0Ghz and it's core utilization. Also keep in mind this is 1440p ULTRA settings and yet were seeing north of 90% CPU utilization at times. My 8700K at 5.0Ghz in the same test environment and setup sees around 50-70% utilization.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I am very happy with the system. However, my first pick would have been to build it exactly to my own specs in all ways rather than settling for what they had on offer. You are fortunate to live near a Micro Center. I wish there were one near me. As I have mentioned, availability (rather, the lack thereof) of 8700K through retail channels is what drove the decision to go with iBUYPOWER. I m not into waiting for anything... Life is too short to waste precious days of it waiting.

I would not recommend 8600K or any other CPU without hyperthreading. No reason other than life without hyperthreading sucks. It is leaving performance on the table and walking away just to save a few bucks.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    hmscott and Papusan like this.
  6. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    that's great to know. definitely going with the 8700K now that ive heard from all of you. And technically I don't live near a microcenter. I live in North crolina and there is no micro center anywhere near me. However, I travel to Columbus Ohio quite frequently for work and there is a micro center 15 min away from my hotel. I'm actually in ohio now and just went to micro center last night to price out my build. with everything I want I'm looking at just under 3 grand and that's with the price of them building it for me included. Not too bad if you ask me. My plan is to wait until Feb of 2018 when Ill be back in Columbus for a week for my job. The first night I'm here I'm going to go to micro center and pick out everything and have them build it. Then ill pick it up a few days later and bring it home with me in my car since I drive to ohio to Greensboro. Its actually not a bad drive especially once your in west Virginia going through the mountains. Its a really beautiful drive and I prefer driving to flying anyway (I think of planes as death traps with wings haha). my only concern is the drive back I hope they have some kind of packing/shipping solution to help everything stabilize and not be too affected by bumps while driving and stuff like that. So ya that's my plan if I decide not to order from Ibuypower. Hopefully by feb of 2018 the 8700K wont be as scarce and hard to find.

But also I just wanted to thank you guys especially Mr. Fox. When I first came on these boards a few months ago I didn't know anything about computers and my plan was to get a gaming laptop. Ive learned a lot just from reading your guys posts and it also made me realize that a gaming laptop sacrifices way to much for portability. so desktop it is!! I'm super excited. My only concern is the heat from an 8700K that's not delidded.

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hopefully the availability of the 8700k will be better in Feb 2018, even so that's kinda short notice to gather parts and build it, walking in same day, you might prepare a little more and set up a build sheet with Microcenter further ahead of time so they can collect all the exact parts you want, otherwise there might be substitutions last minute, not always a bad thing.

By Feb 2018, there may be other alternatives to consider as well :)

8. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Could get lucky and have everything there. Haven't been to the Ohio one, last time I was at the one near me they were pretty well equipped, so you can probably get away with it, but I am the type that prefers to plan ahead.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Commandor

Commandor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wonder if intel will bring back extreme editions sometime later in the game?

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    DukeCLR likes this.