Clutch Replacement, 98 Contour SVT

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by narsnail, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ok so title says it all, I am just having a hard time believing the cost of replacing the clutch. I have gotten quotes between $1500 and $2000 for it, its crazy.

The part is $400 and there is apparently about 6 hours of labor, it is front wheel drive so the engine needs to be removed correct?

Is this a typical price or am I being ripped off?

2. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That sounds WAY too high, considering that a head gasket replacement on my dads car was only $750 total (he got the gasket from an auto parts store)

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...de=1441449&parttype=5128&a=FRc1441449k1142877

the part price sounds right though, considering dealers charge more than the interwebz :p

So basically, to answer your question.

I don't know, but you have my dad's headg asket replacement to compare it to

3. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    You paid $900 for a head gasket. Wow, talk about rip off.

A clutch replacement requires than the transmission be removed so that the clutch can be bolted to the flywheel/starter gear.

The car would probably need to be jacked in the air, and well it would probably take a good 4-5 hours of work. Include the $60-70 an hour for shop work and well thats about right. Kinda unfortunate though.
    If your car was rear wheel drive it would have been easier to just pull the engine rather than going from transmission back

K-TRON

4. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That was parts and labor.
    And actually i just asked, i guess it was $750 xD

5. narsnail

Reputations:
    yea thats the issue, that fact that its FWD, o well, out of my price range for sure.

6. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    750 for a head gasket still sounds steep to me. Unless its some kind of ford where you have to pull the motor or remove the cab to do it. But for the clutch, its alot of work to do those.

7. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    clutch replacements are very expensive and labor intensive. there are some special tools that are also required.

have u tried local performance shops instead of bodyshops? u might find a better deal, and the guys at performance shops generally know more.

8. narsnail

Reputations:
    im going to try my friends mechanic next, he is always really cheap, so maybe he can knock some more off of the cost.

9. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    that should be fine. it's not a very hard project to say, but just very time consuming and labor intensive.

the disassembly part shouldn't be too hard if he has the proper tools. the reassembly part is where u and the mechanic need to really pay attention to make sure everything is put back together properly.

10. Tippey764

Tippey764 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That price isnt too high you just dont really know what your talking about. A clutch is kind of a pain because its between the engine and the transmission meaning you need to take it apart to get to them. You would have to pull out the engine in a FWD ( not to sure about a RWD car ) to get to it and yeah its a pain. My neighbors car the cluch went out on it she just got a new car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.