Climate Change: Man made, Politics or natural?

Discussion in 'Everything Political' started by DetlevCM, Oct 2, 2008.

?

Climate Change: Your opinion.

1. What's that?

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. Doesn't exist.

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Natural phenomena

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. Man made.

28 vote(s)
    70.0%
  5. Its politics and as bad as they say it is.

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Its politics really, its not as bad as they make it.

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  7. Its politics, it doesn't exist ouside of politics.

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    ???
    Some time ago, I believe it was the Times, I read that scientists have begun to analyse data collected by the Royal Navy - logbooks go back a few hundred years and offer insight into some event in the immediate past.

A clear change in climate conditions is already recognizeable - but its "up amd down".

As you may know, I also say it a natural phenomena, but I agree with INEEDMONEY that we don't need to cut down every tree we see.
    Speaking about trees - if I remember correctly, a farmer in Australia planted a few hundred trees using money he had left over, they had a very positive influence on his farmland - locally.

And speaking again about trees - in South America scientists are experimenting with trees in fields - planted in neat lines so machinery fits in between - guess what: crops grow faster and taste better...

There is a lot we don't know, see, recognize.
    Even some nutritionists have agreed that all they've said in the past was effectively useless because it all interlinked. Wasn't there a recent (2-3 months max) article that Vitamin E or D is actually harmful in large quantitites?

I'd say the most sensible approach to climate change is:
    Prepare where you can. (e.g make sure the Netherlands aren't flooded) (Sorry, but I had to say it...) and reduce emissions where it is easily possible - as well as support nature where possible.

Walking through English towns I see few trees - walking through the Ruhr Area in Germany I see a lot.... tree lined roads - look nice, block some ot the sunlight and heat in sommer and produce oxigen.
    That would be nice to see in all town...

2. dmacfour

dmacfour Are you aware...

Reputations:
    I've got a question for you guys: I here a lot about climate cycles and understand the concept, but I don't see a pattern. Over the history of out planet, the climate has changed wildly; at one point CO2 levels were incredibly high (Back in prehistoric times), and at other times CO2 levels have peaked at much lower levels.

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Everything in Moderation

Reputations:
    Just to gab . . . one expression I like is "The Weather Machine"--because it implies that weather (and climate) is very complex.

Anyway, the longest scale climate cycle I know of is based on the position of the continents--this is determined by continental drift, which we know is very slow (inches per year, I believe).

We are in an era (on the ten to one hundred million year time scale or so) of ice ages. Ice ages are thought to be only possible when there are continents at the poles--as glaciation can only occur on land.

I forget details of the shorter scale cycles (precession, etc.), but will read up on it now that you mention them.

4. dmacfour

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. I'm just throwing out ideas here, but is it at all possible that the abnormal climate change we are experiencing is just part of this weather machine, or related to other phenomenons, and that the presence of humans at this point is coincidence?

I don't know much about the global "weather machine", but is seems like it isn't a perfect system considering the prehistoric changes we've discovered. Our weather seems to be at the mercy of external forces, and it would be interesting to research what else is occurring alongside weather changes throughout history. Not just human factors, but forest fires, volcano eruptions, other natural disasters. What if the frequency of large forest fires has steeply increased causing a rise in CO2 levels? On a side note I was reading a NASA article which says that older trees lose the ability to store carbon. Basically forest fires do us a favor and clean out the old trees for fresh ones that can store more carbon.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2003/0311firecarbon.html

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Everything in Moderation

Reputations:
  6. bmwrob

bmwrob Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You need to catch up with your reading, Spaceman. There's some riveting stuff in that article: "The Earth's axis completes one full cycle of precession approximately every 26,000 years."

If you're gonna argue climate change, you've got to know your precession cycles! lol

7. jonhapimp

jonhapimp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    way to many people voted for man made. get your facts straight!!!?!

8. bmwrob

bmwrob Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thank you for so inspiring a post.

9. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    I hope that all of you that said we need to quit cutting down trees don't live in a residential building of any kind...

That would be hypocritical of you... (With all that wood that was made from trees that were cut down, to make the frame and then some).

Personally I don't believe in creationalist ideas like man-made global warming (Just as I don't believe that somebody pulled humans out of a hat with a magic wand...)

I'm not a scientist... none of us on this board have shown me that they are either, but I personally believe that we have cycles on this planet, and we are nearing the end of the livable climate for humans.

Because let's be honest. Did the stegosaurus use a 747 to get to his business destination? Did they hop into their gas guzzling SUV to get across town? Make polluting industrial compounds?

Last time I checked, none of the above were true of the stegosaurus (Nor any other dinosaur), and they are still pretty good and dead. Climates changed, they died, **** happens.

In the meantime, if you really think that we are causing so much damage to the earth by our polluting ways, then quit using electricity, quit driving cars, make sure you do everything without paper, don't work at a place that uses paper/electricity/chemicals, and don't use a cell phone. All those plastics cause pollution, and they cut trees down left and right to put up towers....

10. dmacfour

Reputations:
    Slow down a second... how the heck did you tie man made global warming in with creationism? Care to explain that absurd statement?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.