Clevos with new 6-core Intel Mobile Cpus

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by sicily428, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Seems they have the same ludicrous thermals as the competing BGA turdbooks. This is status quo for the industry, unfortunately. Clevo's competitors face the same curse. Even with a comparatively weak CPU and an emasculated Max-Q GPU, such a modest form factor struggles to maintain acceptable temperatures.
    [​IMG]

Seems to be the same thermal management defects as what was reported here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Eurocom-Q6-i7-8750H-GTX-1070-Max-Q-FHD-Laptop-Review.306110.0.html

[​IMG]

2. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not really understanding this at all, I do engineering stuff(cant be called engineer because I didn't finish my masters..), how can an engineering/design team that is tasked to design the laptop/motherboard and cooling solution fail so hard all across the board?

Did Intel QC/ES/sample CPU's ran cooler due to being better binned/lower TDP?

There has to be something more to the whole story that all notebook designers suck, there laptops that can keep a 1070 at decent temps without running hilarious low TDP's, sure, the CPU die is smaller, but..

From GPU-Z site, 1070 laptop:

Die area: 314 mm²
    TDP: 120Watts

Watt/mm² = 0.382

From wikichip:

Die area: 149 mm²
    TDP: 45Watts

Watt/mm²= 0.302
    At 65Watts: Watt/mm² = 0.436
    The CPU shouldn't be running THAT hot, no excuse, its not a crazy high Watt/mm² value, but it does get a bit worse at higher values.

I have designed some high power dc-dc converters, and with datasheets in hand with thermal resistance values its pretty straightforward to select/order the correct cooling solution so it doesn't go all up in flames.

Something smells fishy, either Intel promised lower TDP even for H parts and had to track back on their claims, or thermal resistance of the die went up due to process changes vs kaby lake

3. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Intel's TDP for previous generations was for the advertised Turbo, now its for non-Tubo base clocks...
    Maybe someone at R&D didn't get the memo.

Also to see that additional low level board throttle, mentioned in the review, on a non overclockable chip is a bit discouraging...now we will have to fix those base systems as well.

4. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I didn't notice that "small" difference, and heck if that doesn't make a lot of sense!..

But, even then, my Haswell can and has been running at 3.6Ghz for hours on end at the 45Watt TDP point, and temps are great(65ºC max, 61ºC average, with the laptop in my lap). But I get it, the CPU needs the 45Watts TDP to run at base aka 2.7Ghz, those sweet 4.xGhz values that marketing loves make the TDP skyrocket and throttle nation comes upon us.

Even then, there is a lot of crap firmware going on, the Helios 500 keeps the CPU at 63ºC under sustained loads, with temps in the 65ºC ballpark, thing is that its a shared heatsink, wouldn't be surprised that even some 10Watts on there would make the thing run away thermally until it hits 100ºC.

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    This is how a hexacore CPU is supposed to run.
    upload_2018-6-12_19-13-15.png

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    This is TODAY bro Fox. And I don't mean the Clevo's with LGA. + this is for single core. What the rest of the cores run (crippled down to), I don't know.
    [​IMG]

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Don't laugh... the underlying message is very serious. How much more idiotic nonsense will the kiddos put up with?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And, of course...
    [​IMG]
    But, Hulk has the right idea...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    What more can be said:vbbiggrin:
    [​IMG]

11. miauru

miauru Newbie

Reputations:
    Any clevos with hex mobile CPU and 64gb ram?

12. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, from Clevo and others. But, it's not pretty. Probably should avoid them unless you enjoy malfunction. If you want a laptop that works correctly with a hexacore CPU, might want to stick with an 8700K model. As usual and expected, BGA malfunction is a given because they are severely crippled.

KY_BULLET and Vistar Shook like this.