Clevos with new 6-core Intel Mobile Cpus

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by sicily428, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Chris S

Chris S Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There's no statement to respond to here, let alone addressing that your claims re. the cpu simply do not hold water.

Mate, it's transparent what you do, asking questions not out of legitimate interest but to create a vacuum.

If you're not familiar with widely known throttling issues in all these laptops that you are an incompetent rep.

But of course you are and are just being supercilious.

Profoundly unsatisfying to read or engage with.

2. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here's a i5 8400 with a gtx 1070 running amiens at 90-110fps:

The i5 8400 scores 869 in Cinebench R15, meaning that it is about 17% faster than a i7 7700HQ which scores 740cb in Cinebench. The i7 7700HQ should therefore be able to maintain over 60fps in this map. An i7 8750H will eat this game alive, it gets about 1100cb in Cinebench.

A lot of laptops don't thermal throttle when subjected to prime95, but they do get as hot as hell (in the 90s if you're unlucky). This can be remedied by an undervolt and a repaste.

3. Legion343

Legion343 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. Wonkyfinger

Wonkyfinger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This seems needlessly hostile.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. Chris S

Chris S Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unfortunately it is a not a serious or well intentioned response, and he clearly has no intention of listening to the experience of others.

The common thread for all these gents is they don't actually use the machine in this manner, yet they will deny all claims counter to their views on the basis of anecdotes.

I expect this would have been some ridiculous argument that throttling off the turbo clock is not throttling, despite it being labelled as such by Intel and by common sense, and despite throttling being common behaviour in any cpu intensive title of which there are many.

It's not worth engaging with as it is difficult to not be scornful of responses that do not engage in basic consideration of peoples experience or seek to divert attention from views that are not the result of experience, and the scorn is a waste of energy.

I will demonstrate why below, and it is not a satisfying or enjoyable experience.

This guy neither owns a 7700hq nor has used it to play BF1, yet he wants to argue on the basis of a youtube video and Cinebench that it is constantly above 60fps.

How is that a serious or well-intentioned response?

Unfortunately, it is a load of rubbish.

1. In that video he is fighting in the back alleys, where the fps is fine. I think I get about 80-90 fps there.

2. He passes through the choke point once, but there is minimal combat there.

A common experience on that map is an extended slog fest at that mark with most of the server population involved.

3. Cinebench is a ~2 minute test. It is so short the cpu cannot reach temp and throttle.

4. I am not aware of a single review on notebook check where they do not demonstrate substantial throttling of Clevo notebooks on Prime95. For a 7700hq they routinely detail throttling approaching the base clock.

Despite this being critical to the function of the laptop, they don't investigate it thoroughly. They simply run Witcher 3 and say ok, games never throttle (!!). This advice is simply repeated here.

5. The desktop i5 8400 has suitable cooling and will sit on the turbo clock of of 3.8 ghz.

6. The 7700hq will approach or reach the base clock of 2.8ghz without an undervolt. Mine with an undervolt settles around 3.0 - 3.1 ghz in games like BF1, so adjust your cinebench appropriately.

8. This gentleman proposes that the '7700HQ should therefore be able to maintain over 60fps in this map.

I am actually using one, and I can tell you it most certainly does not.

Apparently we should discard an empirical result on the basis of someones speculation, despite two people in this thread who actually use the damn machine saying the fps tanks in certain areas or heavy firefights.

Or we say something is wrong with the cpu! Despite it having the same Cinebench score, thermal throttling behaviour etc etc.

Mate, with as much respect as I can muster, I am using it and this is how it behaves.

If you want to deny that, knock yourself out. Go out and start a site where you review laptops based on the cinebench scores and youtube videos of different models, see what sort of response you get.

Anyway I am tired and over it.

To old mate thinking about purchasing, I suggest you buy the best cpu that is reasonable for your budget - if you want to maintain 60fps at all times, and it is hard to think why you wouldn't.

If you are buying it for games, a 1070 will continue to scale well up to an 8700k for many popular titles.

This is the only way to 'future proof' a soldered in chip. If you are being told a 7700hq is not a significant bottleneck, that is simply incorrect advice from people who probably should know better.

7. KnopaDoni

KnopaDoni Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does someone have the mysterious TongFong notebook or have found a review somwhere?

8. ravul

ravul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is it good?

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You are overestimating the importance of CPU speed in FPS in most titles. Sure if you have a specific title in mind then we do the desktop CPU based series for a reason and you can picknup the above 4Ghz goodness.

Throttling is not something I am familiar with on our machines, they will behave as per Intel spec and limit themselves to their rated TDP. This is normal spec from Intel and is the whole point of turbo (so your GTA V gaming session is not limited by the max speed in prime 95 avx).

Asking for evidence of claims actually allows me to address points rather than deal with some vague accusation.

If you want a conversation with users of all kinds I suggest adjusting to a less aggressive response and you may actually get the answers you seek.

10. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    See my signature. Here's a screenshot of my Clevo P950HP6 running the AIDA64 stress test for an hour.
    upload_2018-4-16_21-9-31.png
    Bear in mind that I lost the silicon lottery - my i7 7700HQ (undervolted) runs at 3.4GHz at 980 mV compared the majority of other i7 7700HQ's which tend to run at 900 mV - 930 mV. There is absolutely no throttling and this is with a tripod heat sink and the reseller's stock TIM (EK-TIM Ectotherm Thermal Compound, performs like Artic MX-2).