Clevo's Razer Blade / Aero 14 answer

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Schwabe, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schwabe

Schwabe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What is the status with Clevo's offering of a Razer Blade or better yet, Gigabyte Aero 14, alternative? Is it still just the P640RE ?

Is there any viable answer they have out currently and if not now, anything coming up in the future?

The Gigabyte Aero 14 released this summer (along with it's new Pascal refresh) in particular seems to raise the bar substantially in the battery department. From what I read the P640RE gets maybe 3 hours of light use whereas the Aero 14 people are reporting 7 hours+ of light use.

I'd love to know if Clevo has a 14" unit on the way that can match or at least come close to that.

2. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The P640RE is the closest model Clevo has put out in that size with a dedicated graphics card. But since it was a 9 series graphics card, they aren't available with a lot of resellers any more. Yes, the battery life on the Gigabyte is better.

Not sure when we might hear of another 14" model coming out from Clevo at this point. I don't think they have announced anything that I am aware of. Typically if they do come out with new models, it is usually tied in with new processor or graphics card releases.

3. skandal

skandal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hope they release a refreshed version of the P640RF/RE, it's like a razer blade for "poor" people :p

4. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    The W230SS was mostly well received it seemed, also. There's really a market for high performance, low profile. It will be nice if Clevo pushes out another small unit. :vbsmile:

5. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Yes, that was a nice model and well received. A return of a similar model would be welcomed.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The hardware for such models would need to be in place of course.

7. HeardEmSay

HeardEmSay Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    W110ER will be missed... I'm thinking LateQ1/Early Q2 we'll see something

8. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Technically the P640RF is the "current" model since Nvidia hasn't released a 50-60W mobile part yet. I think the 1060 was viable to throttle under the P640 chassis since it really doesn't quite have the capacity to cool the 100W mark.
    The 965Mv2/Ti (there's now 3 iterations of the damn thing) is therefore still considered "current".

I highly suspect we'll see a P640 refresh after/during CES 2017 (Jan 5th) where the Kaby Lake quad-cores and mobile 1050 parts are being announced.

TomJGX likes this.
  9. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    This could be a nice option that should work, and decent upgrade to a P640 if it becomes available. Always love the waiting game...

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You're going to have to put up with integrated graphics and the hybrid switching, and all of the limitations and problems associated with that technology, if you want reasonable battery life. You'd be better off with a very inexpensive low end notebook to use when battery life is important and a powerhouse to use when it's not. Considering how overpriced Razer's notebooks are, you might be able to buy two machines for the same or less than one of the overpriced compromisers. As much as folks would like to believe they can have it both ways, that never works out. If you settle for something in the middle, you shall have something in the middle... meaning it doesn't actually excel at anything.

KY_BULLET likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.