Clevos, MSI or should i wait for coffeelake?????

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Dovan1405, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Dovan1405

Dovan1405 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys am new here. Please go easy on me.

Im not really in a rush to get a laptop, am able to wait for a few months if really needed. I have been choosing among these 3 laptops Clevo P950 (1070 maxq), Clevo P650 (1070), MSI gs63vr stealth (1070 maxq) and am wondering if i should get them now or i should continue on to wait for the 8th gen i7 cpus to come out. I need to have these laptops with me for like a good 4-5 years thus hoping to get something which will last me through these times.

Also, the benchmarks and numbers of the 8th gen seem to quite high as compared to the 7th. not sure if it is really worth the wait as end of the day, this 8th gen has the same architecture as the 7th. am i right?

soooo should i wait for the 8th gen to be released on these laptops, or just go ahead with either or these?

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $$$$2.3k USD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Netbook; 10" screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    singapore

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: looking towards the Clevo P950 (1070 maxq), Clevo P650 (1070), MSI gs63vr stealth (1070 maxq) and your suggestions are welcomed

b. Dislike: razer blade
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Nope

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    very little gaming, mostly Cadding, 3D modelling and renderings , photoshops and lots of multi tasking. i cant focus on one thing at a time.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    both but leaning towards something easy to carry around.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    gta 5, witcher 3, star wars battlefront

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Doesnt really matter.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    oks without seeing it

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    something with really good colour calibration. a higher percentage for sRGB and as high res as possible
    G sync not required

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    matte plz

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    nop

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    anytime

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4-5 years. if possible... longer.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    500gb ssd min.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    nop nop nop.

thanks for your help :))

2. Dovan1405

Reputations:
    However still really inclined to these 3 models will be open to suggestions as well. only worried about the clevos bios and control centers as i have been reading about their issues. im not really good with these software so im not sure if im able to be able to solve those.

Im into the maxq as well as they are newer and from what i heard some people have said the extra money is worth for the performance over the 1060.

3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    HQ coffee lake cpus will come at the start of 2018

4. Dovan1405

Reputations:
    Will there be any price difference if the new cpus are introduced into the laptops

What are your thoughts among the three laptops???

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    Coffee Lake1 models based on Z370 chipsets (desktop CPUs) are coming late of November

Soon will have new series and offer new CFL1 mobo. CFL1 supports 6core /12 Treads cpus - doesn't support current 7xxx series

Mobile CFL models are coming around Feb/18 CFL2 based on Z390 are coming around Sept /18

DO NOT BUY AS OF NOW

hmscott likes this.
  7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you absolutely need a laptop now, then get the 7700k model and a 1080 and overclock it. It's BEST to wait, since the new CPU's will have alot more power than current ones (double the threads/cores, or even 50% more cores is much more powerful), but I understand some people need something right now. If you have a good desktop already and can afford to wait for a good next gen laptop model, definitely wait. If you absolutely can NOT wait, you can get the 7700k, 1080 GTX, and then if you decide you need even more FPS or higher benchmarks, even buy a hardware programmer to TDP mod the GTX 1080 to remove the power limits for more speed, but make sure your laptop has a Premamod Bios/EC, and if you do mod the GTX 1080 in the future (with the pascal bios editor linked in the Clevo/Sager section, a HW programmer like a skypro or skypro II, a good IC clip like the Pomona 5250, an 1.8v adapter (required) and some male to female adafruit or zoostlist jumper cables), don't go past 250W. The Delta 330W PSU should be good for 350W sustained if you keep it cool.

Dovan1405 and Vasudev like this.
  8. Dovan1405

Reputations:

Would there be a difference in the CFL and CFL2??? Sep18 is too long away =/ would the difference in motherboard affect much???

hmscott likes this.
  9. Dovan1405

Reputations:
    This is abit out of my range hahaha and its abit overkill as well

hmscott likes this.
  10. Jona67

Jona67 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I went with the GS63 myself. pretty easy to just toss it in a backpack and have it with me anywhere.
    not sure how much time you'll be spending on CAD/3D, but you can also check out their workstation variant WS63. (with Quadro GPU that is)

and judging from the desktop coffee lake CPUs, the ones for laptops will probably also have more cores and not much difference in clock speed.
    so it really depends on if you mostly use multicore and singlecore performance. (and how soon you'll be needing one)

Dovan1405 and hmscott like this.