Clevo with desktop CPU for office and home

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Jan Prochnica, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan Prochnica

Jan Prochnica Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I'm looking for a powerful notebook that can be quiet when I need it to be quiet even if it means reduced performance. I.e. when browsing I would like to be able to make it silent. On medium load, like working in Unreal Engine editor, I expect moderate, clean noise. When rendering, compiling or gaming at home I want to be able to use uncompromising power of desktop CPU. In short: I need full control on noise level vs power.

I have looked for information over several sites, even saw some notebook live. I have played with GT62VR and GL502VS.
    GT62VR cooling seems to be more "composed" when it comes to short spikes in CPU usage than GL502VS, but on low load noise was whirring instead of whooshing, which was annoying, because nothing happened in the system. On higher load there were more whoosh than whirr, that's ok.
    GL502VS on the other hand was overheating constantly and could not rest for even one minute. Noise was very clean and low pitched even on medium load, but on high load it started whining. Not fun.

I've read some good stuff on some Clevo when it comes to cooling efficiency, it is said that it can cool down desktop i7 CPU with 49dB which sounds amazing. I'm curious if these notebooks really have superior cooling power compared to i.e. thin GL502VS, so they could keep low powered CPU almost passively cool.

I'm most curious about P751DM2-G + GTX 1070, but I have few questions about CPU. 7700K has TDP of 91W. 7700 has 65W. There is also super-power saving 7700T with TDP of 35W, which is even lower than 7700HQ @ 45W. I know TDP's aren't precise, but they serve as approximation of power usage. And power means heat, so I assume 7700K will run hotter than 7700 and much hotter than 7700T.

I don't know if there is any deep difference between K, non-K and T or is it the same CPU with different limits. If it's the same, is it possible to downclock / power-limit 7700K so it behaves exactly like 7700T on demand? Would 7700T (or downclocked 7700K) run substantially cooler than unconstrained 7700K?

Is noise of P751DM2-G actually tolerable at low and mid loads? I don't care that much about high load. Is it possible to configure this machine so it will behave as I expected it to behave on demand?

I have also read about MSI 16L13 / Eurocom Tornado F5 and that it actually runs cooler / more quiet than comparable Clevo. Is it true that it has better potential when it comes to noise reduction? Right now it's not available in my country, but there are some stores in Europe that have it.

FORM:
    1) What is your budget?
    $2000-$2500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    Poland or Europe

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    -
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes, I think so

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    VR Developement / UE4, VR Games, Web browsing, programming, 3d rendering

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Office <---> Home

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, VR Games

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    30 minutes

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I guess I have no choice but trust

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    -

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    FHD

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    -

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Looks - somewhat. Let's say I like MSI GT62VR and Clevos more than rounded GL502VS. Noise - very important to be able to reduce it on demand (no idle noise is acceptable for me).

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2 Years at least

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    -

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Definitely no.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  3. mujtaba

mujtaba ZzzZzz Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thread Moved :)

4. sicily428

Reputations:
    Where? You could use the FORM

5. Jan Prochnica

Reputations:
    Added form :)

sicily428 likes this.
  6. sicily428

Reputations:
    These laptops are desktop replacements with desktop cpus and they have to manage a lot of heat. Msi 16L13 (check laptoppart4less) is better than clevo p751dm2-g and you should be able to underclock that i7-7700k at the level of a i7-7700t.
    btw Do you know new clevo p750tm with new 6-cores cpus?

raz8020, ThatOldGuy and Jan Prochnica like this.
  7. sicily428

Reputations:
    May be @ThatOldGuy can give you a feedback about fan noise of that 16L13

8. Jan Prochnica

Reputations:
    Thanks for info on laptopparts4less, never heard before about it. Prices are good, ships to EU. New Intel chipset Z270. Now I'm really curious about this MSI 16L13. It looks surprisingly promising, powerful, yet cheaper than famous, branded, BGE GT62VR. I'm curious about fan noise characteristics. Even if it sounds mechanical like GT62VR on low load, is there any chance that Clevo P75x fan setup does any better?

9. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Clevo P75x laptops cannot properly cool the CPU and GPU under simultaneous heavy load (i.e. AAA games like Witcher 3). This because they share the heat-sink. They aren't broken by any means, but the MSI 16L13 has much better cooling solution. The fans sound good in the EVOC 16L I had; they can get loud, but are not high pitched. Some users are finding they need to replace their (fans) though after 1 year. Easy to do, but annoying non the less.

There is a thread dedicated to fan modifications for superior sound profile fans where a user tested 15 different fans that could fit into the chassis:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/msi-16l13-eurocom-tornado-f5-fan-modifications.810712/

raz8020, Jan Prochnica and sicily428 like this.
  10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

Oh right, I have the correct fan for the 16L13 but ended up buying the KM1.

I'll get a sale thread going for my spare 16L13 compatible fans soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.