1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Clevo W740SU 14.1"

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by tommytomatoe, Jun 16, 2013.

1. gcommer

gcommer Newbie

Reputations:
  2. cybernick01

cybernick01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice, they're finally arriving.
    They've confirmed the panel: B140HAN01

3. Kallogan

Kallogan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Test Schenker S413 Notebook (Clevo W740SU) - Notebookcheck.com Tests

90°C in full and 46db despite the monster special intel cooling system...Not impressive, runs hot. That's under extreme stress though
    15 watts at idle...I've seen 15" laptop with dgpu idling at less than that.

But still, not a bad lap, gaming is very decent. Hard to dismount compared to other Clevos though. Too bad there's no Backlit keyboard at this premium price.

This lap has no advantage over a dgpu based lap in terms of power efficiency imo. The W230ST is a much better deal, easy to dismount and many sata ports and BK...

4. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    WAT

[​IMG]

5. cybernick01

cybernick01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree. I see no point, other than being slightly more portable and 2 more hours of battery life.

6. Pobega

Pobega Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For my use case this laptop seems to be perfect, if not a little bit overpriced. I'm kind of disappointed to hear that the finish is just plastic, I was under the impression that it is brushed aluminum. Hopefully it doesn't feel cheap.

My use case by the way is a Linux user. Optimus graphics are awful on Linux; while they do work, it's a pain having to keep on top of it to make sure it's working. I couldn't count on both hands the number of times I've done a kernel upgrade only to forget to upgrade Optimus (even though I installed it through dkms and it should auto update...) causing my battery to drain in ~45 minutes. It will be a God send to have Intel graphics that can perform decently well, in a small form factor without sacrificing raw CPU power or the ethernet port.

7. tremorchrist

tremorchrist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Are we sure it's all plastic? Granted the person speaking in this w740su video is ESL person, I thought I heard it's aluminum lid, if not the whole body. Oh well... add one more to the list along with non-illuminated/backlit keyboard that's keeping this machine from being an attractive option for business. I've placed an order for this, couldn't wait any longer for a new machine. I'll post a review when I receive it.... HTWingNut has set the bar very high for reviews!

8. gcommer

gcommer Newbie

Reputations:
    System76 lists the laptop as part magnesium alloy, and some parts plastic. (from: GalU1 - Knowledge76)

The notebookcheck.de review lists it as: (via google translate)
    The anandtech article doesn't comment on the build quality of the laptop, but does have a good image with the keyboard removed showing some of the internal construction.

runner4444 likes this.
  9. rhx123

rhx123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What no one else seems to have noticed in this thread is that this machine features a DisplayPort, meaning that for me with a 2560x1440 display, this machine is just so much more attractive than a W230ST.
    Why Clevo are taking this long to finally put displayports on something that's not mega high end I don't know.

10. Larry@LPC-Digital

Larry@LPC-Digital Company Representative

Reputations:
    Here as some good pics for this model. It is also the Sager NP2740 .... :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files: