1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Clevo W740SU 14.1"

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by tommytomatoe, Jun 16, 2013.

1. strangebird

strangebird Notebook Enthusiast

I'm getting really frustrated by this laptop. One of the reasons i bought it was because it was being sold as a linux ready machine, but gee I'm only having problems ... My samsung series 5 with amd processor was easier to get working smoothly. Out of the box the Intel graphics won't play videos, after installing updated Intel drivers videos just lag and fans run full speed. Power managment seems weird, fans turn on and off when in Win 8 they stay quiet most of the time, even when playing games like Don't starve (where on linux they run at FULL speed). I'm really not technical enough to bother all of this. I thought the laptop was linux ready when it comes to drivers etc. The touchpad is also terrible when using linux.
    Do the System76 laptops come pre-configured or something?

Also my display have started to bleed in the bottom corners. Anyone else got this problem? Also, if there is any pressure on the screen at all (if it rest against a wall or something) the whole screen bleeds badly when there is a dark picture on.

2. xanny

xanny Notebook Enthusiast

The Intel driver problems were reported in a Phoronix article using the Gazelle Professional - the issue is that the kernel and intel driver in Ubuntu 13.04 is buggy on Haswell. You'd want a more recent kernel. You can get, say, 3.10 from launchpad though, which that review said runs Haswell graphics rock solid.

I'm kind of dissapointed in this thing. The shoddy construction seems underwhelming for housing a $450 cpu and apparently really good display. Is there anything like this, where (for a linux system) you can get a 14 - 16" screen and cpu of this caliber, with integrated graphics, linux friendly parts (preferrably no binary blobs), that is better built? I'd throw money at something for $12 - 1300 like this with an aluminum body and touch screen.

3. tremorchrist

tremorchrist Notebook Guru

Could folks who's received their machines, please comment on dead pixels? As pixel density of the screens have gone up, presence of a few dead pixels is supposed to be acceptable. This was my gripe with Dell XPS 13 FHD. By changing the acceptance criteria, there's a nice new market created for selling added no-dead-pixel warranties!

And folks commenting on the keyboard and trackpad, could you please include your past machines for reference? This way we know what you're comparing against. Reviews of these have been a mixed bag. I'd be moving to this machine from an about-to-die MacBook from 2006 (first gen with Intel processor). I never knew of existence of problems like keyboard flex and finicky trackpads until I started going through forums like this to determine my next machine. So you see past experience forms a strong baseline to next expectation.

-TC

4. jasonholtzapple

jasonholtzapple Notebook Enthusiast

I ended up returning my Galago. I have used probably over a dozen laptops for work and home and this was the first lemon I've encountered. I was running back to my old laptop after having used it for a while. Maybe the trackpad works better under Windows but the keyboard would have the same problem.

I didn't notice any dead pixels. I thought the screen was fine.

You asked about previous laptops. I have a Dell Precision M4600. Before that I used a Dell Latitude E5520 and before that several older Dell Latitudes and Lenovo T series. Before that I can't remember. At home we have an Acer Timeline X, Dell Vostro something or other and HP Pavilion. Some of these are entry level machines and the keyboard and trackpads are all acceptable. The Galago was my first notebook with an all-in-one trackpad - everything else I've used has separate buttons below the trackpad. I'm able to use the all-in-one trackpads on MacBooks - there was something wrong with the trackpad or Linux driver software on the Galago.

5. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Deity

I don't know why Synaptics made the defaults different across OSes. But was it really that difficult to read Synaptics's Linux driver manual, and get whatever function you need working?

6. jasonholtzapple

Probably not. It was really the keyboard that was the deal breaker for me. To be honest, I don't want to fiddle with trackpad, video and alsa settings and drivers to get everything working under Linux. I accept that I bought the wrong hardware for my requirements.

7. tremorchrist

Thanks for the thorough info. Sorry to hear that you weren't offered keyboard fix by System76 while others have been. No wonder you returned the machine. What I find surprising is that you had to fidget with software settings and drivers for Linux to get things going. And you had bought the machine from a Linux vendor! I wonder how much worse it'd be for someone purchasing it barebones from, say, RJTech or Mythlogic, and wanting to run (K/X)Ubuntu on it on their own.

Clevo dropped the ball big time on this one with keyboard and trackpad. I think everyone had high hopes which seem to have gone unfulfilled, not to mention the delay in getting it to market, especially in the US. I'm now more nervous for my purchase that's going to show up next week... damn you Labor Day for prolonging the delivery!

-TC

8. mickee13

mickee13 Notebook Geek

I feel for the linux user experiences, but since I'll only be using Windows, I'm going to reserve judgement and give the machine a fair chance. On the big Schenker S413 review, they really praise the trackpad, besides a slight loud click. And it does sound like there is a keyboard fix. The schenker review also comments on light bleed being perfectly acceptable etc. I really want to see how the Gigabyte P34 shakes out, but I really don't need that kind of gpu power, and so many of these powerful ivy bridge and haswell chips run very very hot with throttling, that the hyperbaric cooling system in the 740 looks really good. And it's not like Gigabyte are a long standing builder of quality laptops either. Guess we'll find out soon enough......or maybe not, seems like these things are ghosts.

9. tremorchrist

10. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Deity

Clevo has a very solid track record of making terrible keyboards. This one is nothing new, and totally expected.

11. jasonholtzapple

I guess it's an expectation gap - this was my first personal purchase from a premium Linux vendor. There isn't a huge price premium - about $100 more than the same bits from Mythlogic w/o Windows. Having worked with Linux and laptops for a long time, the assumption is that if you buy from Mythlogic, you are going to have to fiddle around to get sh** working. System76 sold this knowing there are problems, or their QA department didn't catch them. Either way, the user gets shafted. Looking through their support forums, it seems pretty safe to say this happens a lot.

12. Pobega

Pobega Notebook Consultant

So I finally got my handson thismcine,and i havetosay thatwhat everyone saidaboutitistrue.i'mnot backspacingforthisentire post just to show you how bad the eyboard really is.

Ithink i'mgoing to have toreturnit tomythlogic, the spacebar doesn't work unless you punchthe damn thing. ater contactingthem and being told that the keyboard works fine, I feel really really rippedoff. Thiscomputer cost me $1700, and now I have to send it back. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't completely disappointed, and as muc as I want to like Mythlogic I wish they would have told me about the keyboardinstead of telling me that it works fine -- because that's totally farce. Literally the entire left and right 20% of the spacebar are entirely dead, as well as a few random keys around the keyboard.

Edit: Now that Ubuntu is completely installed (not running from a LiveDisk) I can attest to how fast everything really is with this computer, but the keys are still awful to type on. Literally the worst computer I've ever owned, DO NOT BUY.

13. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Deity

If this was a big fancy slate (or tablet as people say these days) without a built-in keyboard...

14. mickee13

mickee13 Notebook Geek

Brutal! Is it possible the keyboard is an issue with Ubuntu....drivers or something? So you don't have windows on it?
    Also do you know if you were part of first shipment? Or a second shipment? Thought I read somewhere there was a delay with a shipment due to quality issue being resolved? Maybe keyboard?

15. Pobega

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I know that all of Mythlogic's W740SUs were delayed, while System76 received the initial units shipped by Clevo. I was under the assumption that maybe Clevo was going to fix the keyboard issue in the second batch, and I even contacted support about this exact issue -- I was told by support that they tested multiple units and none of them were deemed to have keyboard issues. I was considering canceling my order because I'm a programmer and a full-time computer science student, so a good keyboard is important to me, but because of the good experience I had with Mythlogic support over the weeks prior to my laptop shipping I decided to trust them.

The laptop itself is a beast. It's amazingly fast, the screen is gorgeous, the clickpad isn't as bad or loud as I've heard on here, and the speakers produce pretty passable (but loud) sound. Everything about this laptop is perfect EXCEPT for the keyboard. I thought that maybe the people complaining were just used to the obviously superior Mac hardware, but honestly I am coming from a life of using budget computers and this is easily the worst keyboard experience I've ever had -- and I used an EeePC for three years, mind you.

I just hope Mythlogic does something to fix the situation, because right now I just feel kind of cheated. My W740SU is unusable without an external keyboard, and for the $1,700+ dollars I spent that's not okay.

16. tremorchrist

Wow! A double whammy -- first from Clevo, then from Mythlogic in falsely assuring everything is peachy keen with keyboard. I'm so not looking forward to my machine. We should start maintaining a return counter -- so far 3 of the 5 known customers have returned or intend to return it. Let's see how it goes for me.

Wondering if some after market keyboard can be used as replacement. If it's backlit, the better. I'm sure the warranty would be royally voided by then. Sigh...

-TC

17. Pobega

By the way, don't get me wrong; I'm not here to talk bad about Mythlogic. Actually, they've been awesome in working with me to resolve this issue! Hopefully they can fix it, because besides the keyboard this is the perfect laptop.

And I apologize if I did seem like I was trying to talk bad about them, honestly I was just more upset than anything after waiting a month and a half to get my hands on a W740SU.

18. mickee13

mickee13 Notebook Geek

Such a drag. This was looking almost perfect spec wise for me. Size is just right, with 13" being too small and 15.6 being too big. IPS screen, check, very fast processor/ram, check, thin, check, ssd, check.....horrible unusable keyboard...check. We can put robots on Mars, but a freaking keyboard can't work half properly??? . Really hope this is fixable somehow.

19. mickee13

mickee13 Notebook Geek

20. uber_shnitz

uber_shnitz Newbie

I probably missed it in the entire thread, but what's battery life looking for this baby?