Clevo w650kk1 - Display swap & gsync?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FrizzleFry, Oct 5, 2018.

1. FrizzleFry

FrizzleFry Newbie

Reputations:
    I am planning to replace the display in my Clevo w650kk1 with a B156HTN05.1 1080p 120hz display.
    From what i understand the display is g-sync capable. I have also read, that gsync in notebooks is not
    using a gsync module, but rather an implementation closer to the VESA adaptive sync over Display Port.

So since my notebook has a gsync capable card, the connection is eDP and the monitor is gsync capable,
    does that mean, than gsync will be available after i swapped the screen? This sounds too good to be true!

Thanks for any feedback!

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well I just wanted to throw out there that the viewing angles of that pannel are horrid.

Other than that it depends.I don't know how it is with clevos, but MSI notebooks need to get the panel whitelisted in the BIOS before being able to use gsync. Even if you have gsync capable hardware, you probably need to whitelist your panel first before nGreedia lets you use gsync.

FrizzleFry likes this.
  3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Check my signature. W650 was successfully upgraded. Btw I don't think w650 gpu has g-sync license

FrizzleFry likes this.
  4. FrizzleFry

FrizzleFry Newbie

Reputations:
    I was expecting it to have subpar viewing angles, this is usually not a problem for me. I ordered the display very cheap, so i'm taking the risk here.

The whitelisting makes sense, as i said, it sounded too good to be true!

Edit:
    Just to be sure, adding a panel to the whitelist is not something i can just do myself, correct?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For now just replace and see what happens.
    I only worked with this issue on an MSI GT 72 model which works like I described, I don't know if Clevo has the same thing going. Also it's unlikely, you could find a BIOS modder who could help you out.

FrizzleFry likes this.
  6. FrizzleFry

FrizzleFry Newbie

Reputations:
    Just wanted to give some feedback. I successfully installed the screen in laptop, however brightness controls don't work (stuck at 100)
    Also, to noones surprise, gsync is not available.

Just though I let you know, in case you want to add it to your list.

While 120hz certainly was awesome, I ended up reinstalling the original crappy LG screen, since the loss of brightness controls and thus the hit on battery life is too much of a sacrifice to me.

It was a fun little project though.

sicily428 likes this.
  7. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing this info!

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The machine is not licensed for G-sync so there is no code in the BIOS for it and you wont be able to easily hack it in.

9. FrizzleFry

FrizzleFry Newbie

Reputations:
    Totally makes sense. I guess for a second I thought, hey you don't need a module so it might just work. But of course there would be another layer of verification.

Not having gsync was not a deal breaker for me in any way. Not having brightness control is!

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    We all wish nvidia would stop with it but there's not much that can be done.