Clevo W110ER Custom copper machined coolers

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Calibre41, Oct 15, 2012.

?

What, if any, would you change the chipset block for?

1. None - 80° on the chipset is fine by me.... out of sight - out of mind

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. a copper version of the original (£15 ish)

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. a larger size copper version (£20-25 ish)

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. an excessively huge bling copper version (£35+)

12 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. a double size quality billet alluminium version (£15-20)

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. an excessively huge billet alluminium version (£25+)

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. any £15-25 but I'd like to see some performance charts

31 vote(s)
    47.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calibre41

Calibre41 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    - So .... I get my W110ER - pop off the bottom cover, and I'm initially wowed by the very high standard and nicely finished cooler,

but what's this? - ugly little grey spud in the bottom corner...... chipset block eh?

^ I'm not having that :D

This is a teaser and is one (Standard) of two designs - the second will be a bigger and more elaborate cooler, but there will be much more to come....... including blocks to attach to the standard cpu/gpu cooler to add extra surface area and make use of the space around it.

The coolers will be carefully considered not to block air flow around the case and where possible I'll be making the most of the laws of thermodynamics to actually promote convection through the blocks and around the surrounding PCB.

Stay tuned folks it will take me at least a month to get this designed and made, I'll have more than a few made so it's cost effective - if people are interested, I can even do other popular laptops - because no one like heat :thumbsup:

(p.s. I hear there are some contact pressure {or the lack of} issues on the P150 and P170 coolers, I'll be on to this in due course - but as I don't have one - I could do with a development buddy in Yorkshire?)

[​IMG]

Stage one - design/prototypes

15/10/12 - Evening update,

I've finished modelling the standard block, amazingly - I don't have my verniers - so I'll have to check the dims another day but it will be within 0.1mm and is all very easily tweaked and changed. It's a great start and will form the basis of future designs. Next stage is to check the dims, and then start assessing clearances to see what we've got to play with.

I thought I'd give you something else to stare at... ugly as it is....

[​IMG]

NOW simply change the material to copper, and hey presto! (we can do better than that though in time......)

[​IMG]

19/10/12 - Evening (20/10/12 very early -should be asleep - morning....) update

Please see POST #13 for full info and description:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is a very quick knock up of what I have in mind for the CPU cover block.

[​IMG]

see post 23 on page 3 for more info.

Stay tuned! :thumbsup:

Update 17.04.13

* If you float about pages 9-11 you'll see the CPU cover is near completion, although I've yet to revise a few aspects of the design so we're not 100% there yet. If you have a good look through the photo's you'll also spot a hand made PCH cooler (it's wrong air gaps to small, fins to wide but I just knocked it up by hand - no CNC for this yet).
    I've just moved house and have all my kits packed up in boxes, hopefully it will all be out, comissioned & running soon :D

2. Calibre41

Reputations:
    P150EM coolers should be in development within a week or 2....... I'll link to that thread as and when it starts.

:thumbsup:

edit, looks like it will be P150SM now, if I have enough cash!

3. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Pre-ordered! ;)

4. Calibre41

Reputations:
    Thanks for the bios mod's mate - my Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz wouldn't work until I manually set the FSB and timings using your bios ! - it would boot once with the stock bios, then BSOD and refuse to boot again until bios was reset, it was trying to run 1866mhz and 7-7-7 I think (nice try my little W110..........if only)

Just updated post #2 with my initial progress, as you can see we've now got accurate 3d model of the original cooler (which I modelled from my own)

I've added a poll, I'd be really grateful if you guys could help steer the design process based on these guestimate prices (copper prices change weekly so based on items being machined from a 250mm²x6mm copper plate at a cost of £120-160+)

5. Fightar

Fightar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm very interested in this as well as I've recently turned my 6110 into my main computer.

6. Calibre41

Reputations:
    another quick update,

I've measured up and I really can't see how I can utilise the space to right of the heatsink as there is a structural chassis member that the mount bracket slips under. To the left, we have the RAM chips, so we'll have to work around those and use the little space that is under them.

We are basically going to end up with a cooler which has approx 60% more of a foot print, so we can add more mm² of surface cooling area on top of that.

I have my own idea's of what it should look like, but I'll put up a sketch of the blank cooler foot print and if anyone wants to get busy on CAD or a "paint" program to contribute some idea's then feel (or if like me you may prefer to hand sketch these sorts of ideas and upload a photo go for it)- I will lay down a few basic rules and also indicate the direction of air flow in that area.

I think we're basically looking at just ONE size, which will be the biggest I can squeeze in without modifying any of the case. - as I don't think anyone would want this.

Hopefully cost wise probably £10+p&p for aluminium and £20 for the copper flavour - I hope this puts it in reach for most enthusiasts out there.

I will also begin work on some blocks that attach to the back of the CPU cooler plate, as we have LOADS usable space here and I've noticed the hottest part of this machine for me is always the CPU.

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Ambitious project, hope you get improvements. But part of it I think should be adding some form of additional airflow. Refining heatsinks is good, but my experience has shown little improvement without adding airflow.

CPU actually isn't so bad now just by blowing open a hole on the bottom panel below the CPU, and propping it up. An improved system fan profile would help as well.

Looking forward to your results however. I'm always a skeptic, but I've seen the best designs and improvements come from enthusiasts, so I have high confidence there will be some decent improvements.

Is the chipset really an issue at 80C though? I considered removing the stock one too, and throwing on a my own copper mod, basically a copper plate with ram sinks on top of it.

8. Calibre41

Reputations:
    :hi2: HTWingNut - thanks for joining in, I've read many of your post's over the last few years (or more.....)

I am very carefully considering air flow around the case, and just using the existing air flow I'm confident I can make improvements to the chipset (and hopefully significant ones).

I hope to add more "bling" to the CPU cooler, with no doubt less significant temperature differences as this is largely determined by the fan profile as you well know - this is not my area of expertise so sadly its a non starter for me personally.

Opening up a hole, will no doubt make the RAM and chipset run even hotter as the closed gaps in the main fan intake are specifically there to force air in from other locations, so while making your CPU/GPU run cooler other components will generally then run hotter which is difficult to monitor so it's really a trade off, I need to build a MAF monitor, so I can monitor airflow and temperature from a cooler to give a figure of roughly how much air & heat the cooler is actually moving.

I'm sure the proof will be in the pudding - nothing beats real world tests :) , I hope to have a prototype in the next 2 weeks, but that's an ambitious time scale.

As mentioned the benefits are 2 fold, both aesthetic and hopefully performance related.

(If you think this is ambitious I have a rather mental idea of machining an entire case from aluminium or copper to the exact motherboard profile so the whole board is pretty much in contact with something, retaining the current CPU/GPU fan to do the bulk of the work. sadly I lost out on a auction for the equipment I'd need to get such an accurate 3d profile of the components - but I will invest eventually as I need this kit for other things - maybe this one's for the future)

9. Calibre41

Reputations:
    Ok, so while assessing the air flow in the case, it seems there is mainly a cross flow, from bottom left to top right (as you look at the cooler, with the exhaust pointing right) so this pretty much dictates just one design style. I'm seeing probably 3 versions of the same size block, one alloy and maybe 2 copper - with one rather extreme version for myself, and done to order if you folk are interested (I can't find any 6mm copper plate at the minute so copper versions may be delayed!)

feel free to contribute any idea's if you want to see a different fin design, but bear in mind the air pull towards the fan and the height restriction of 6mm with a tapered front edge (not show in my pictures below - sorry)

Basic - cost effective aluminium version. (6082 grade)
    [​IMG]

Basic - cost effective copper version (C106 grade)
    [​IMG]

Extreme - seriously labour intensive version. This is cross cut @90° and features 2mm holes drilled through - except on the contact area (C106 grade copper)
    This allows for a much greater air flow, and through convection will pull fresh air through itself when hot - no fan required. This design will only work with copper and solid silver.....not sure what's more expensive these days :confused2:
    (These will cost some serious cash, as they are not only difficult to make, but labour intensive - made to order only)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21/10/12

I'll hopefully have the first Aluminium version in the next 10-15 days - copper is currently very hard to find due to a crash in the stock prices, so no copper version for the foreseeable (a single 2" x 1/4" copper bar is currently over £200..........its just a phase it will pass but sadly it might take a month or two - until then, im hunting for scraps of copper - or solid silver - which performs better than copper, and is probably cheaper right now )

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Is it possible to do a cross cut with your "basic" design? Something like this?

I'm assuming this will just be machined from a block of copper?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.