Clevo vs. Dell Latitude

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by shanehhhh1, Jun 6, 2018.

1. shanehhhh1

shanehhhh1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What can anybody tell me about the durability and feel of Clevo vs. a Dell Latitude. I have been really pleased with my Latitude laptops, but i'm moving into hexacore and don't really have the luxury of working on the cooling aspects for a fleet of Latitudes I might be buying. Does Clevo feel cheap or does it have a solid, durable feel?

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Depends on model and what you mean by "feels cheap". Are we talking overall package or just the case.

The build quality is above average, the software is garbage, the cooling is very meh on most clevos, sound quality is also meh, batterylife is also rather meh. Sadly we have absolutely no idea what your pricerange is so it's hard to recommend anything for you.

3. shanehhhh1

shanehhhh1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm spending about $3000. I don't know if I care about the software, sound, or even battery. The most I'm away from an outlet is an hour or maybe two. I'm looking at P750TM1-G and Latitude 5591. I'm also looking at Alienware 17 r5, but 17 inches just seems to be too big for me to lug around. I've never bought Clevo before.

Re: cooling, I'm planning to buy from a reseller who will delid an 8th gen i7 for me, repaste it, and put in some thermal padding. That should address most of that concern, no? I'm not going to overclock to 5 GHz or play a lot of games. I need the processing power for all of my databases and analytics work.

Papusan likes this.
  4. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Well depends on the processing power, even delidded the I7 CPU's run rather hot on clevos, especially when giving the CPU actual workload instead of gaming. Honestly you should rather consider the Acer Predator Helios 5000 with 2nd gen Ryzen desktop CPU. I think that one would likely benefit you far more considering the 8 cores and 16 threads instead of 6 cores and 12 threads.

5. shanehhhh1

shanehhhh1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Are there any concerns about overheating with that machine? My concern with it is the size. I've never owned a 17 inch machine before; I've always owned 15 inch laptops. I do some remote work and I do have to lug it around. Is the difference between 15 and 17 as much as I make it out to be?

6. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Honestly I don't think the difference is that big, 15 inch or 17 inch, both will be rather heavy and "hard to carry around". If you want something compact then look for something like an MSI GS 65 or gigabyte Auros notebook.

7. shanehhhh1

shanehhhh1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a few Latitude E5570 now so I'm used to a little weight. If you think a 17 inch wouldn't be too much if I already have a 6 lb. Latitude E5570, then I might take your advice.

As for the Helios 500, I know nothing about it, but it looks like it's not shipping until August? Have you actually seen or tested this model before recommending it?

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Nope. He haven't!! He have just seen a single results from the weak low entry 45w Intel i7-8750H from the review I posted in the link below. It's a reason Acer's engineers dont try or want to put in more than 1070 into the 17,3 chassis.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...a-56-ryzen-2-helios-500.817796/#post-10740938

Call, email or PM @Donald@HIDevolution about
    EVOC High Performance Systems P750TM1-G 15.6" Custom Built Gaming Laptop w/ nVIDIA GTX 1060, 1070, or 1080
    No need to overclock if this ain't you . But still nice have Prema bios. I will call it a must.
    Full socket hardware (Replaceable hardware) + Prema bios. And HIDevolution offer a very good package. Tuning/tweaking, nice warrenty, support etc.

If you want the best or 17.3 chassis... Clevo P870TM1 (single or Sli graphics) who HID offer as well. Bigger and heavier, yeah I know.

But if lower weight is prefered. You already got the answer you wanted above.

Regarding Dell. Read my thread...
    How Dell cripple performance explained....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    ole!!!, Ashtrix and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    @Papusan is providing the advice (based on personal experience) that you will want to follow @shanehhhh1 and based on what you are looking for, Clevo is the only game in town if you need a real DTR. All the other options are truly pathetic in comparison. Personally, I would recommend moving up to 17 inch. You'll get better cooling and an overall more pleasant product to use. The P870 is unbeatable. The P7 series is less expensive, so you can also expect less. If you're stuck on the idea that smaller is better, the P750TM is a solid choice.

You're going to need to delid a desktop CPU regardless of what you have it installed in if you want good temperatures. Even in a liquid cooled desktop the temperatures suck without a delid. HIDevolution will take care of that for you for a hassle-free experience.

ole!!!, Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
  10. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    You misunderstand, I'm comparing 17inch to the Clevo P750. The weight difference between the Dell and clevo is huge. If you need something in your dells weightclass you're better off with an MSI GS 65 or Gigabyte aero 15, however the cooling of those systems are rather weak compared to other notebooks and the CPU is limited to a 8750H which is probably all you need.

So if weight is no issue, I would clearly go for a Ryzen build if you are only after performance, especially considering that the ryzen socket will be supported with newer CPUs at least up until 2020.

The Acer Helios notebook already exists with a 8750H processor and GTX 1070, it is able to cool the components down under massive stresstest (prime95 + furmark) with stock thermal paste to very good temperatures, considering that AMD Ryzen CPU's are far more efficient in terms of thermals the notebook will stay cool with the ryzen as well while keeping all its performance.