Clevo sees weak profits in 2016, but expects strong performance in 2017

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Dr. AMK, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You said you don't understand why things are the way they are and I am attempting to figure out what specific part you are confused on and now you are being evasive.

2. TheReciever

TheReciever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No you responded to a particular element that I never commented on.

Then ask why I dont understand when I stated your response doesnt make sense to my point, I never mentioned power delivery, you inserted that on your own. Just like how your inserting that I am being evasive.

I genuinely have no understanding of your current logic. Instead of being rude and insert that there is something wrong with you, ill attempt to rationalize where communication broke down.

I think you are misunderstanding my use of English to be honest. I wasnt stating "make me less understanding" as in I lack the knowledge, therefore "to know". This was one method of stating I am less willing to condone, and by extension to support the current practice.

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    In a way you did not understand then, the reason that the form factor changed was due to memory speeds along with the power delivery and Nvidia not releasing a reference PCB (likely due in part to the below).

Nvidia wanted to close the gap with the desktop cards and memory speeds could not keep up due to the limitations of MXM-B (adding in those core power phases on the 980M PCB like I did reduced maximum memory clocks even over volting the memory chips).

GDDR5X put even harsher stresses on the memory bus which needed to keep to a semi circle arrangement to keep signal integrity further inhibiting the use of MXM-B type modules.

4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Thats an odd way of apologizing for inserting that I am being evasive, or is this you now being evasive? :/ Etiquette ends at the Gateway I suppose.

He later added faster memory from a dead GTX 970 iirc, I could be mistaken where he pulled it from.

The point being, the potential for more power (performance) without changing form factor has been there. Then we have the 1070m's that some people are chasing down for their own laptops as well. Whats the point of "closing the gap" when you still make better MXM 3.0b cards and simply dont sell them in laptops but specific non laptops?

Hence my "less understanding" position.

5. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I could maybe understand this for the GDDR5X in the GTX 1080, but there is no reason for the 1070 and 1060 to be also weirdly shaped. Zotac made that point quite clearly, as did the Quadro P5000 workdstation card.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I can't speak for other manufacturers but once the 1080 changed shape then so did the others which share the same PCB. That way the entire line was consistent since they were going in the same chassis.

Also the zotac card is tuned down power target wise which will make things easier.

7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    It exists, which is kind of the point.

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It exists with performance compromises which has never kept people in this space happy and would require a PCB redesign and a chassis difference between the same models in a line.

Dr. AMK likes this.
  9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Im just reading excuses here.

Since when has a factory BIOS ever held anyone back that didnt want to get more power out of their cards?

The point still remains, it exists and those that have it, love it. Even going as far a to buy a 1K zbox just for the GPU and scrapping the rest of it.

TBoneSan likes this.
  10. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gecube is making a similarly restricted 150W TDP 1070 in true MXM 3.0b size, we will see if it starts burning motherboards if it gets an unlocked power vbios mod. The point is not what "the slot" can draw but how the power delivery in the motherboard can handle the draw to "the slot". Maybe we'll see some of the just-enough designs (mid range units) will be incapable of sustaining 150W over the long term

The point about power delivery is an interesting one.
    "We need more board space for power delivery"
    Vs
    "The 980M can make do with half the FETs missing up the top"
    I think there's more to that story

As Meaker has said many times
    Clevo decided to make the pcb size bigger for their 1080
    Clevo decided to use that large pcb size throughout their lineup not caring whether the 1060 or 1070 actually needed it
    Clevo decides things for the good of clevo bottom line, not the aftermarket upgrader

I don't like the outcome for my personal goals but I don't get steamed up about it, its just business. Its not like there are tens of thousands of aftermarket upgraders like there are with LSx crate engines, high performance laptop GPUs are extremely niche and the product cycle very short

dm477 and Dr. AMK like this.