Clevo sees weak profits in 2016, but expects strong performance in 2017

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Dr. AMK, Mar 30, 2017.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It exists, which is kind of the point.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It exists with performance compromises which has never kept people in this space happy and would require a PCB redesign and a chassis difference between the same models in a line.

Dr. AMK likes this.
  3. TheReciever

TheReciever Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Im just reading excuses here.

Since when has a factory BIOS ever held anyone back that didnt want to get more power out of their cards?

The point still remains, it exists and those that have it, love it. Even going as far a to buy a 1K zbox just for the GPU and scrapping the rest of it.

TBoneSan likes this.
  4. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gecube is making a similarly restricted 150W TDP 1070 in true MXM 3.0b size, we will see if it starts burning motherboards if it gets an unlocked power vbios mod. The point is not what "the slot" can draw but how the power delivery in the motherboard can handle the draw to "the slot". Maybe we'll see some of the just-enough designs (mid range units) will be incapable of sustaining 150W over the long term

The point about power delivery is an interesting one.
    "We need more board space for power delivery"
    Vs
    "The 980M can make do with half the FETs missing up the top"
    I think there's more to that story

As Meaker has said many times
    Clevo decided to make the pcb size bigger for their 1080
    Clevo decided to use that large pcb size throughout their lineup not caring whether the 1060 or 1070 actually needed it
    Clevo decides things for the good of clevo bottom line, not the aftermarket upgrader

I don't like the outcome for my personal goals but I don't get steamed up about it, its just business. Its not like there are tens of thousands of aftermarket upgraders like there are with LSx crate engines, high performance laptop GPUs are extremely niche and the product cycle very short

dm477 and Dr. AMK like this.