Clevo + Ryzen: possible?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by thegh0sts, Feb 23, 2017.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    True, they are the niche but from what I have seen and I can be entirely wrong, it tends to be for a single game at a time.

Main reason I wanted more multithread is to play more than one game at a time. I used to try to play siege alongside Black Desert Online but the CPU usage is full tilt (when I had an SFF desktop). GPU is too naturally which is why VRAM is a concern. If my memory is correct my friends 4790k @ 4.7 hits about 80-85% usage in Siege alone, mine is full tilt but an explanation is hardly needed for that (DD in the sig).

Ive been really curious about Game development as well, though I have no knowledge of it, I figure though that you cant really develop a game and test it if you dont have the hardware requirements to begin with. I could just build a desktop for sure, and cheaper but I like being able to put my setup in a back pack. Makes things much easier for air travel...

EDIT: Guess my desire in a future laptop is niche in a niche. Im wiling to accept that lol.

2. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One thing they could work on is better core scheduling to get around the overclocking/power issue. While overclocking all cores to 4ghz gives you a boost overall, it's mostly done to make up for the generally low clock and single-thread performance.
    In reality, you probably don't have to clock ALL 8 cores up to 4Ghz to see benefits where it really matters. ie. in the very few games that are heavily CPU bottle-necked, they would scale better if you only have to OC 3-4 of the cores and make sure the scheduler prioritises those cores to get the benefit.

Now that the rest of NBC review of the GL702ZC is up there's a few things of note:
    • CPU temps are looking decent. 88C core max with Furmark and Prime95. That cpu temp may also be further let down by the RX580 and shared heatpipes (similar to how the P650HS 1070 suffers due to the joint heatpipe)
    • Idle power consumption is rubbish. Even compared to Intel LGA chips. This is probably made worse by the RX580 as well. They really need to get that down to 30W to come close to a P700 type machine.
    • Load power is all over the place. The median power consumption of 125W looks extremely good (doesn't mention it, but the median is usually Witcher3 testing). But then the max recorded is 240W. Furthermore the power pack supplied is 330W which seems like a huge over-estimation by Asus.
    I think it could easily be tamed in a P700 chassis as it stands (for cooling) and probably allow some OC headroom.

3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Finally added it to the database : https://noteb.com/?model/model.php?conf=10080209225717999616&ex=USD

Prices will get updated tomorrow. The notebookcheck review indicates Ryzen is under performing in notebooks, probably due to poorer cooling, making it slightly slower overall than the 7700K. Still for the price I think it will be a very good deal, but they should have priced it more aggressively.

- battery life is non-existent
    - RX 580 performance similar to the GTX 1060 but at much higher power consumption and heat generation
    - the only advantage is the Ryzen CPU, which indeed runs circles around the 7700HQ , but doesn't really give that much of an advantage for gaming. I would say the pricing for this model should have been around $1200 , not $1500 .

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017 at 6:46 PM
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    And that's the rub with creating such a machine.

5. TheReciever

TheReciever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah its definitely nice to have the option but its less than ideal with a few of its attributes a bit lacking.

How fast can we get the memory working on it?
    Why 4GB on the RX 580?
    Any chance of overclocking CPU/GPU?

Is 32GB the max of B350 or is that just for the laptop?

6. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not too surprising if a new process becomes available, it's usually a no brained decision in a competitive market.

8. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    sicily428 and hmscott like this.