Clevo PA71HS-G VS Alienware 17 R4 for Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Dynedge, Oct 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynedge

Dynedge Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been looking for a new 17in gaming laptop for a while now and I think I've finally decided that I want one with a 1070 in it. After doing some research I've come across two options that seem appealing while also not breaking the bank.

The first is the Alienware 17 R4. It's on sale at newegg right now for $1549. This is the cheapest option for me but I've read that temperatures and fan noise can be a real issue with this model.

The second is the Clevo PA71HS-G. I've found this at 2 sites: AVADirect and XOTICPC. This model would be about $100 more expensive but I've heard a lot of good things about Clevo.

I don't need a SSD since I already own a 256GB one I intend on using and I also consider 16GB of RAM necessary. I am willing to be a little bit flexible with the cost if it means getting a much higher quality laptop but would still like to keep it under $1750. I intend for this laptop to last me for about 4-5 years and will be used primarily for gaming and VR.

I was wondering if anyone has any opinions for either of these or possible suggestions that I may have overlooked?

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    <= $1750

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: None in particular
    b. Dislike: MSI (Had a bad customer service experience with them lately)
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Possibly

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Will be taking it to friend's places

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, AAA newer games and VR. Will need a good gpu.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Doesn't matter

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Buying without seeing is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    I'm fine with FHD but higher res is a plus

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Doesn't matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Plan to buy this weekend if possible

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4-5 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    Would like a 1TB HDD, have an SSD already

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    You should use the FORM

3. Dynedge

Dynedge Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, sorry. Added the form.

sicily428 likes this.
  4. sicily428

Reputations:
  5. Dynedge

Dynedge Newbie

Reputations:
  6. sicily428

Reputations:
    In that case you should choose for having that laptop from a reseller who offers a repaste with liquid metal. Check gentechpc or hidevolution

7. Commandor

Commandor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You should check Clevo P950 along side Alienware.

8. Dynedge

Dynedge Newbie

Reputations:
    I checked out those sites and while it does look like they'll supply a better product since they redo the thermal paste they are also much more expensive.

I checked it out, looks good spec-wise but I really want a 17in screen to play games on.

9. soulvengeance

soulvengeance Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you can stretch your budget just a little more, I would just wait for this at Avadirect:

https://www.avadirect.com/Clevo-P77...YNC-Graphics-Gaming-Laptop/Configure/11561114

If you configure it with the 1070, 8700, and non g sync, comes out to about 1810. If you're going between the Clevo and Alienware in your post, I would say it's kind of a tossup, although it seems a lot of people are complaining about the Alienware like you've mentioned. I will say that my purchase through Avadirect was pleasant, they answered all the questions I had within a day or so of receiving it.

10. Commandor

Commandor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Since I do have a 17" laptop, I would really believe Im better off with 15.6 due to convenience of hauling it around and weight. When I am home I use my external monitor, thus I think you should at least consider this point really well before making a decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.