Clevo PA71ES or Asus GL703-DS74 through hidevolution

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by MadCabbit, Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadCabbit

MadCabbit Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking at the PA71ES and the Asus GL703-DS74 on hidevolution. From what I've read, they seem to have the most Clevo models with a Prema BIOS. Some Clevo models actually have a check box for it, whereas for the PA71ES, its only mentioned under the OS details. I'm wondering what the pros and cons of each of these machines. Reviews suggest the Asus performs well and the speakers aren't horrible, but I'm unclear on how bad the thermals are on it, and I'm not finding much of anything on the Clevo to compare. I'm going for a 144Hz panel, do either of these outshine the other? Is the gtx 1070 on either one throttled like some other laptops like the Omen? Is the build quality good on both of these? I've actually emailed @Donald@HIDevolution as well asking for more clarification on this as well as whatever the current NBR discount is, but I'm guessing the earliest response would be monday.

The other thing I plan to do since I'm limited on what financing I can use is to try and strip the optionsdown as much as possible on what I can add myself and use other resources like newegg to fill in. I'd rather pick my own ssd and hd anyway. Has anyone else done this with hidevolution? Since clevos don't even default to an OS choice, I'm guessing that's more likely to work over the Asus.

2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm not sure the Clevo PA71ES has a Prema BIOS you'd wanna wait till you get a reply from Donald about that.

With regards to thermals, you're in safe hands with HIDevolution thanks to their superb thermal paste applications and the usage of some of the best thermal pastes. I'd go for the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut for the CPU as it offers the best performance when it comes to heat dissipation and lasts long.

They do quality checks anyway before sending you your laptop so you are sure to ge a laptop that works 100% out of the box.

They seem very similarly specced to be honest I don't think you could go wrong with anyone of them. I do like the ASUS's aesthetics more though

3. MadCabbit

MadCabbit Newbie

Reputations:
    I was actually thinking of keeping the factory paste, then just reapplying my own paste. I've put together my own PCs, so i'm comfortable with that, but I have read somewhere that sometimes, laptops need a little more with the dual CPU/GPU heatsinks for proper coverage. Of course, I've read newer compounds over better cooling, I'm still using a tube of Arctic Silver 5 I used when I put together my 8700K desktop.

4. MadCabbit

MadCabbit Newbie

Reputations:
    I've also been considering seeing if I can budget an Alienware 17 R5 with the 1440p 120Hz Gsync screen. It's tempting me since I've had an Alienware M17x R4 before and loved it. Losing it during a time of financial strain and finally getting to a place where I can try to budget getting it back is the main reason why I've been shopping laptops.

5. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As far as I know, new Alienware models are not what they used to be. Their cooling system is often underperforming. You should head to the Alienware owners thread in this forum and see what people have to say.

Spartan likes this.
  6. MadCabbit

MadCabbit Newbie

Reputations:
    The cooling system being underperforming, as well as using a BGA chip, but I've also been looking at screen/speaker quality. How does these three compare. I get the impression that Alienware (1440p 120Hz) wins both, with the Clevo being the worst when it comes to the speakers.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  7. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Clevo has definitely the worst speakers. MSI is decent. Alienware is really good. The screen doesn't really matter, they all use more or less the same screens, maybe different revisions. Plus, you can always replace the screen if you don't like it. It's not that expensive.

8. MadCabbit

MadCabbit Newbie

Reputations:
    I take it a MSI laptop would have better cooling than the other three? I had considered a GP73 Leopard or a GE73 Raider, but I was more comfortable with the aesthetics on other laptops, plus I've had no experience with a MSI laptop.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  9. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No necessarily. Depends on the model. The GE73 does have better cooling than the other 3. Not sure about the GP73, it's MSI's budget line. Build quality is not the best with the MSI GP series. I would rather get a Clevo P71 than an MSI GP series, but I would get a GE73 over the Clevo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.