CLEVO PA71EP6-G - An 8850h in a 25mm chassis...?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Snappy_Darko, Jun 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Snappy_Darko

Snappy_Darko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You're right, but I guess during stress testing you'd want to see if it at least keeps reasonable temps? I'm a bit of noob, so maybe my expectations needs adjusting, though it just seems to me that offering an overclockable CPU (from a range of CPU's that have reported to produce unacceptable heat) in a thin chassis (that has also reported heat issues on less powerful chips) is a bit cheeky because the overclock can not really be taken advantage of. Just seems either wreckless or purposely misleading...but then I've not read any review yet on this particular config (the 8850h in 25mm chassis that has unremarkable cooling), so maybe it works fine! I'm just going on the reports of the other thin n lights using less aggressive CPU's combined with reports of said chassis poor thermals.

2. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    The N85x series varied in that certain models came with a single pipe heatsink, others a dual pipe design.

I don't know much about the 8850H offering on this model, but the 8850H SKU might come with a better cooling system, similar to how said N series models had slightly different heatsinks. The seller could confirm or decry that.

3. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    The PA7 models can be ordered with 8950HK from Clevo, so I wouldn't worry about the 8850H too much.
    In fact I think it hits the sweetspot and I am surprised to see it as I didn't even see it mentioned by Clevo. :)

KY_BULLET likes this.
  4. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Judging from my experience with the LM-pasted 8750H in my ES-G thus far, Clevo will need a completely revamped cooling system to keep these things from bursting into flames with an 8950HK in it, much less one that's OC'd...unless it's delidded, of course.

5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mobile CPUs don't have an IHS to delid.

6. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    <------N00B 4L3RT!

Thanks. I thought I'd seen a couple posts talking about delidding HKs when I wandered onto these forums some months back, but was obviously confused about specifics.

http://gph.is/1s4ZJv9

7. Snappy_Darko

Reputations:
    But still your concern still stands, cooling isn't adequate for an OC'able chip

LeiEn likes this.
  8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-evoc-pa71es-g-review.817866/page-5#post-10746283

Just doooooooooooooooooooooooont. Get superior notebook like a MSI GE 73 or if you don't mind little extra weight the MSI GT 73.

9. Snappy_Darko

Reputations:
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Worth looking at yes, just remember that every system is a balance, the GE series uses a plastic chassis for instance and lacks some features which may or may not matter to you.

Danish gets a bit over zealous and skips over these parts in his... Recommendations.