Clevo P950ER Question

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by LeiEn, Apr 25, 2018.

1. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys - I'm pretty close to buying one of the new P950ER's from @Prostar Computer or @GenTechPC since they seem to have the best prices AND great consumer reviews (and yes, before any of the HIDevolution boys see this, I have looked there, but their prices are substantially higher). I have a few questions that I'm hoping somebody can answer before I pull the trigger:

1. What BIOS comes on the Clevo if I order from @Prostar Computer or @GenTechPC ? Are they one of the "Prema partners" that I've heard so much fanfare about on these forums? If not, what is the alternative BIOS that it comes flashed with? Also, does the "Microsoft® Windows 10 Home 64-bit with System Drivers Recovery on 16GB USB Flash Drive for $35" that I've seen on Prostar mean that it includes a license key, should I want to do a fresh install in the future?

2. On Prostar, the model isn't advertised as a Sager, so does that mean Prostar provides their own software for things like keyboard lighting and fan control...are there alternative programs out there to use if not?

I've gleaned whatever I can from Gentech's review of the P950HR at which was great to check on the build quality and teardown, but still wondering about software.

3. How often is it recommended to do thermal repasting? I'm going to get the best possible option available at purchase and then do a bit of undervolting after I receive to ensure the longevity of the device, but it is recommended to repaste CPU + GPU cooler contacts every ___ year?

4. How does a fellow NBR user go about requesting that member discount from one of the resellers that I've heard about? ;)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Good lord that has to be one of the loudest noetbooks I've ever heard. This is not even funny anymore. As usual, refresh with garbage software with different components, yay....

1.) BIOS is probably stock BIOS, you don't need Prema BIOS since you can't overclock anything anyways. So it's a waste unless you plan on something where you need the extra options. The drive is a recovery drive, meaning it's not a clean install, so it does have an activated windows on it. If you have an USB drive you can make the revcovery yourself.

2.) Barely bloatware if any at all, but you you can expect the software to be garbage anyways. Uninstalling soundblaster and replacing it with something that works would probably be the first thing you want to do, unless you use an USB headset then u can leave it on. If you have a headset with an actual audio jack, then ya. Find something that works.

3.) Thermal paste replacement is only needed if you have high temps. Sometimes you can get away with not repasting after 2 years, sometimes after 6 months. Just keep the temps in check.

4.) Just write direcly to a reseller.from NBR, that should get some discount for ya.

LeiEn likes this.
  3. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ha, I know I know, but there are trade-offs in everything mate and the dollars make a difference. I'd have to spend another $300-500 on an MSI with the same specs.

The only model that comes close to Clevos bang for buck is the GE63 Raider (starting at around 2k)...so what would ~$400 more get me in in the end: 2 more heat pipes (but 1 less fan!) and some better software...possibly a better keyboard, but the Clevos look very similar to the Steelseries and have been surprisingly well-reviewed on the Prostar Consumer Review page. Furthermore, considering that I'll be using a wireless keyboard + mouse most of the time, that's kind of a moot point. Definitely better speakers on the MSI, but only a 720p webcam.

They both have 94% NTSC screens (with MSI claiming 100% Adobe RGB...which I've learned is a lesser spectrum than NTSC), but neither of them will likely hold a candle to a big IPS monitor that I need for design work...WHICH is easily afforded (among other things) if I save cash on the Clevo.

Worth mentioning - the Clevo is 100% aluminum and I can get it sans branding. The GE63 is still screaming "GAMER!" at the top of its lungs with the red + LEDs on the back of the screen. Not a deal-breaker, but the more stealth I can get something, the better. However, removing the bottom plate on the MSI did look like far less work considering no keyboard removal is necessary.

Though the GE63 did score higher on the benches (likely due to the 1070 instead of the 1070 Max-Q), the thermals look surprisingly similar, and the dB levels under load is around 60db for both. Gonna have to sleep on it once again and we'll see if anybody else want to weigh in in the meantime. Thanks for the reply!

Prostar Computer likes this.
  4. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Lol You're that guy.
    You're exacly right. Save few bucks, get a far inferior experience.

Also no, the MSI notebooks have 100% sRGB and 77% AdobeRGB, this is considered on workstation level quality and is suited for designwork. This is a massive color range compared to clevos way inferior spectrum (83% and 55% respectively, the latter is a massive difference since Adobe RGB has a MUCH higher spectrum than sRGB) .

A good 60hz IPS panel which has enough color coverage to be considered a budget designerpanel usually starts from 500+ USD. And yes, the MSI is pretty close to that. Not only that but the panel is the panel with the fastest responsetimes and has 120hz refreshrate, so when you go for the external monitor solution you'll have inferior gaming experience, unless you plan on buying an extremely expensive monitor which has both good color coverage, high refreshrate and high responsetimes.

Also your solution is garbage because you would loose the ability to work on the go, whats the point of the notebook then? If you want a portable machine that needs to be plugged into a monitor etc. then buy a small formfactor desktop PC.

For all I care you can buy the Clevo, I'm not going to force you on anything, I'm merely making sure you understand what you're investing in. All I'm doing is putting facts on the table.

also one important fact you're completely forgetting, DB only tells you 1 side of the coin, the 60DB on the MSI notebook is FAR less annoying than on the 60DB on the clevo. The pitch on the Clevo is higher hence way more irritating to your ears.

Go compare the garbage cooling system on the clevo with its terrible fan profiles on 12:05 - 12:15 and compare with the amazing MSI 11:55 - 12:10. extremely different

NOTE
    the 7700HQ is vastly inferior to the coffelake on the MSI.

Again as you perfecly pointed out. Save few bucks, trade in for vastly inferior experience. What you decide in the end, I couldn't care less, I'm only interested in spreading information to people so that they can decide for their own, what they need. There are some that don't care about speakers, don't care about keyboard, don't care about noise or temps, they just want something that kinda works for the best price possible, they tend to grab a clevo. Most people however, do care about speakers, noiselevel, software, flexibility and such, sadly through missinformation they grab a clevo and are not really impressed.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    LeiEn likes this.
  5. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 1070MQ in the P950ER will outperform a 1060 by 25% instead of the usual 50% of a full 1070, mainly because the cooling system can't handle the heat that a full 1070 produces. Clevo ended up reduced the power limit on the GPU as a result, so the 1070 runs at ~1300mhz under load instead of the usual 1700+ mhz. It is not worth spending an extra $300 dollars for only 25% more performance. You'd be better off getting a Clevo P650HS-G (7th gen) from microcenter (they call it the Powerspec 1510) for $1300.

The fans are very loud under load, but you'd be using headphones so I don't think that would matter much. Recent BIOS/EC updates to the fan table have made the laptop silent when idle.

Dennismungai and LeiEn like this.
  6. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    @LeiEn

1. We use the stock BIOS with our splash logo applied.
    2. We purchase from Clevo directly. :vbsmile: But we don't have any proprietary software. Most resellers use the Clevo stuff; there are no software alternatives I know of.
    3. A good TIM should last you years. It's not a bad idea to repaste if you see a trend with temps creeping higher. Play it by ear/repaste on an as-needed basis.
    4. We can't discuss pricing openly (forum rules) but you can PM us for an NBR discount.

You can also PM if you have questions. :vbthumbsup:

Ultra Male, Mr. Fox and LeiEn like this.
  7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can't judge the noise of a machine through a video like that.

Mr. Fox, LeiEn and Husar like this.
  8. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hehe...the level of biased PC politics on the forums is hilarious...practically tribal. I don't personally pledge allegiance to any brand, so I'm just a neutral consumer who likes to weigh all the options. Though, you really must've been burned badly by your Clevo experience to inject so much venom into your perspective, but I appreciate your points.

RE: screens; if they're both advertising 94% NTSC, and I get the color calibration done, it should be pretty similar. Close enough to do design work anyhow. Refresh rate is 120hz on both, and at that similar price tier, the difference in cost surely isn't entirely based on screen quality. FWIW, I've never paid over $250 for a design monitor, and have been doing fine in terms of color fidelity for the past decade.

Regarding thermals, the MSI dissipates a little better, but nothing drastic - not enough to warrant hyperbolic adjectives to describe the difference, IMO. The Clevo is loaded with the 8750H, and that is a must for me as opposed to the GPU as @RampantGorilla suggested, but I do appreciate mentioning it since I was also looking at a few other MSI's that was had the 8750H + 1060 (https://www.pro-star.com/ge63-raider-rgb-011.html), but that doesn't feel as (near) future proof, since I am hoping to play some VR titles on this for the next 2 years at least, and the YouTube vids seem to indicate that every core helps, and having double the CUDAs in the 1070s does see a noticeable spike in framerates where it really matters to keep that motion sickness away.

Not sure who "most of the people" are, but as mentioned, there's lots of happy Clevo owners posting reviews of Prostar and GenTech builds, so it kind of looks like the opposite to me, but if you have alternative proof of unhappy recipient who wish they'd gotten an MSI, I'm all eyes and ears. There's more than a few people who complain about MSI purchases as well on Amazon, so the road goes both ways - you're certainly paying for more marketing + advertising with an MSI purchase; all those flashy graphics and videos cost a lot to produce!

One thing worth mentioning as well is that a Prostar Clevo unit only costs $199 for an extended 3 year warranty, as opposed to the $350 for an MSI, and I'm not entirely sure you get the same licensed version of Windows, but I may be wrong about that.

Thanks for the response @Prostar Computer !

aIex and Prostar Computer like this.
  9. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Yeah I've been burned so badly that I still have 2 clevo machines :rolleyes:

There is a difference being biased and being realistic. Biased people make a bad experience and will hate a brand and never buy it again. Realistic people will not hate the brand but point them out.

Yeah no, the AUO B156HTN05.2 display which is the 120hz display clevo is using has 89% sRGB (Argyll) 58% AdobeRGB 1998, the contrast is MUCH worse. It has 360avg nits brightness which is quite good, however Contrast: 714:1 and (Black: 0.5 cd/m²) values are terrible.

VR in the next 2 years with a maxQ 1070? not gonna happen mate. I doubt even the 1080 will be able to play all VR titles in the next 2 years flawlessly.

Again, I'm simply providing facts, you're the guy who can choose, I don't care either way, as long you don't tell weird stories such as the clevo has a similairly good panel such as the MSI.

LeiEn likes this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The current high refresh rate panels (144hz) are all the same as there is only one option out there.

Mr. Fox, oSChakal and Husar like this.