Clevo P870TM_TM1 CPU throttling because of battery?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by somethingwicked, Mar 22, 2020.

1. somethingwicked

somethingwicked Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello there, first of all I apologize for any stupid question because hardware is not my cup of tea.
    I own a 2yo P870TM_TM1, and I'm having severe problems with it.

My problem is that when I use the 1070 GPU (one or both, in SLI) all of a sudden the PC fans start to go to the maximum and after a while the pc simply shuts down.

I tried to investigate the problem during the last weeks and so far what I did understand is:
    1. using AIDA64 i was able to stress a CPU throttling problem till 8% (but maybe more, since after a few seconds I decided to stop the simulation)
    2. using the same software, if I unplug the battery from the power supplies, the throttling seems not to be present.
    Side notes:
    1. I'm pretty sure the CPU fan is working properly because with the Clevo Control Center software I can force the fan to go to maximum and I can listen something like a rocket ready to take off, and at the same time I can see within AIDA64 that the temperature goes down a few degrees
    2. Overclocking is off, and I never tried to play with it, since I should have enough power to play almost anything
    3. I tried disabling SLI and use 1 single GPU at a time and the result is pretty the same.
    4. I payed (50 euros) when I bought the laptop to have a proper delid, so I assume it was made professionally, but I cannot be sure 100%.
    Any help in these? What do you suggest to do for further investigations and for a fix?
    Your experience would be of great help.

Sorry in advance for my english coz it is not my native language, so in case anything is not clear just point it out and I'll try to fix it.
    Cheers!

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Does the machine beep at all before the power off?

3. somethingwicked

Reputations:
    Hello Meaker@Sager, nope, no beep at all. Whatever is on the screen, it freezes for a bunch of seconds, and than black screen. On a few occasions I also had to unplug both the power supplies to power the laptop, because their green led disappeared. As said, luckily they re-appeared after unplugging and pluggin again.

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If I am interpreting what you posted accurately, the CPU is not overheating. What temperatures are you seeing from the GPUs under load? If the GPU is overheading, (one or both,) that can cause the fan behavior, drop in performance and unexpected shutdown.

If you remove the battery and the system seems to behave normally, the most logical assumption would be that there is a good possibly something wrong with the battery. It could be shorted. If it works properly with the battery removed, it would be best to leave the battery out until you can purchase a replacement. If it is shorted internally, it could pose a fire hazard.

It is extremely unlikely the CPU delid has anything to do with the issue you are experiencing.

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    As above, it does not sound like an ECU panic so it could be the charging circuitry for the battery shorting.

6. somethingwicked

Reputations:
    Thank you both, here my thoughts and tries:

"If you remove the battery and the system seems to behave normally ..."
    Actually I never tried this, but I noticed that without the power supplies (so the power is given by the battery only) there is no issue.
    Anyway, I tried to invert the test, and removed the battery as suggested, and tested with only the power supplies attached... black screen in a few seconds. Here AIDA report:

https://ibb.co/7VwR8r3

As seen from the report, the CPU was 86 degrees and the software didn't have the chance to state the throttling problem, so I guess you both are right in saying that this has nothing to do with the cpu (which I am glad).
    As from the behaviour with the battery, I guess it is not the problem either, so I am gonna place it in its spot again.

Next suspect that comes to my mind... one or both the power supplies?

Trying to ask your other question: in AIDA64 test I disabled the "Stress GPU" option, and I tried to test again, and the problem still persist:

https://ibb.co/9yWZqxv

I dunno if this is really the right way to exclude the GPUs from the tests. In case, should I use another software?

Thank you both for any help you can give me...
    Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  7. somethingwicked

Reputations:
    I tried the power supplies too:
    • one at a time with the Power Converter Box (this thing) connected
    • one at a time directly plugged into the pc (without the Power Converter Box)
    Same result, the CPU reaches above 90 degrees in less than a minute and AIDA states "CPU throttling, overheating detected".

If I unplug any power supply, and use only the battery, the degrees are always below 60.

:(

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Put up Hwinfo to follow temp. Hit Fn+1 to force max fans. Will the fans run at max? If they do, then run Aida64 stress test. If you see overheating there is something wrong with paste or heatsink.

Cpu won't run at max speed <if you run on battery - unplugged psu>. Hence it won't overheat.

9. somethingwicked

Reputations:
    Thanks Papusan, I didn't know what you stressed about cpu max speed with unplugged psu. I searched for more info about that and I must admit I am confused. You can see here why I am confused: https://ibb.co/s97rjws it seems to me that there shouldn't be a difference, but probably I am wrong (sorry it is in italian, but it is pretty clear that cpu power should be 100% on both power scenarios).

I installed Hwinfo. If I press Fn + 1 nothing happens, but I can force fan at full speed via Control Center via performance > system > fan speed.

This way I tested with AIDA. and I noticed something really strange.

1. the first test was without Stress GPU option: https://ibb.co/Yc22ZZf
    You can see that the temp is overall below 70 degress. You can also notice that Remaining battery is in state charging, and everything seems ok, at least to me.

2. this second test resulted in a strange behaviour: I did the same as before, with the difference that I enabled also GPU Stress. Once started, the Remainin battery option switched from charging to battery, and indeed my psu seems switched off (no green led on it). I have to unplug and plug again into the power line to make the psu work again and be correctly recognized by the system.

I'm totally lost guys...

edit: thinking again about what happened before... could it be that since the psu are switched off due to something, that my pc simply shuts down after a while because the battery is totally drained...???

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    That or it cant handle a full game load when a brick goes down.

bennyg and Mr. Fox like this.