Clevo P870TM1-G Randomly Shutting Off

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by TheFlyingPotato, Apr 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Ah that guide was for the 1080 sorry, you'll need to adjust it.

2. TheFlyingPotato

TheFlyingPotato Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I'd seen that when there were parts of the heatsink that looked distinctly different. Any advice on how to go about adjusting it for the 2070? As much as I love the idea of laying thermal pads on parts of the card I'm still not quite sure about all the components. VRMs and VRAM modules are not terribe afaik. But everything else I'm admittedly not entirely sure on.

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I figured it out by laying the card flat and figuring out for each component (cap, inductor and vrms).

4. TheFlyingPotato

TheFlyingPotato Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess I'll try that, then...not sure how successful I'm going to be. Just er...related question. My system's been randomly powering off off late (last week and a half?). Could that be a related issue, or is that the sign of a worse problem?

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The first suspect is the VRMs always with that sort of power off. Are the pads making proper contact to those, everything else other than the core is far less important.

Papusan likes this.
  6. EverNight

EverNight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Kind of unrelated but may be worth a sanity check on your part. Mine shuts down whenever it gets unplugged because one or more cells in the battery are borked. It jumps from 100% to 30% instantaneously, and it shuts itself down.
    When it boots back up, it shows the battery as empty and charging ... some of the time. Some of the time it shows 80%, 73% etc.

The power loss is accompanied by the same critical notification in event viewer - kernel power loss.

The thing about Li-Ion battery packs is that they're usually wired in weird series /parallel combinations and therefore, readings can be somewhat unpredictable. That + coupled with the fact that our p870TM platforms are essentially "laptops" in the sense that they're compact, but can still drain 900W under load, whenever a cell fails, odds are the entire battery pack fails ... and it fails weirdly... in the sense that it can show it's charged at 80%.
    It's an extremely bad idea to drain Li-Ion batteries completely ... or fast because it messes with their chemistry as well, therefore further increasing the battery level reading unreliability issue.

I suggest you check the power settings and see if its critical/low battery settings. and set it to hibernate at about 99% or something ridiculous.

Furthermore, you should assume that your battery is completely unreliable as far as reporting goes and try the following:

Put it under some load and touch or gently giggle the power connection at the back of the laptop.
    If it shuts down, it's most likely due to an issue with your laptop's power socket and your battery is essentially dead as well.

Also, make sure you're using enough Watts. I have a 2x1080 SLI rig, with which it's a stupid idea to use only one 480W adapter.

The test is meant to cross check whether the power loss is due to your laptop switching to battery mode with an unreliable, broken battery.