Clevo P870TM1-G Randomly Shutting Off

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by TheFlyingPotato, Apr 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Damin

Damin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd go with bad thermal pad placement to ... I used K5 pro to fix this

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Any decent pad that's nice and soft/pliable will get the most consistent results.

3. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Temps seem fine for not shutting down due to temps.

I've had some issues recently with windows updates causing sporadic issues as seen in event viewer as "kernel power". Remove the updates and things go back to normal. It's a toss up between windows / intel lately with recent releases causing issues.

Just a thought / experience. It's not always a HW issue.

4. Damin

Damin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think quite often they are not sensors and all the sensitive components that's why I personally use the k5pro so more patsy pretty awesome stuff as you don't need to worry about sizing of pads it creates it's own size up to they say up to 3 mm which is more than sufficient. One huge thing I found was updating the EC on the system made a massive difference as my system was thermal throttling with a very old EC

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I'd be wary above 2mm gap wise for paste.

6. TheFlyingPotato

TheFlyingPotato Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Apologies for the delay, guys, family issues meant my computer troubles were the least of my worries.

Update:

I read about someone having faulty RAM despite it having passed Memtest. So just to see if it made a difference, I removed the two older RAM modules I had, and used the two newer ones I had. Seems to have had some effect. If I fire up War Thunder (which I'm using as a test case, I'm not sure if it makes a difference either way), I can get into the menu and stay there now. In fact, I can also get into a test flight and fly around for about a minute before the system shuts down.

I was monitoring temps as usual, not above 65C for the CPU, GPU at 45C and HWInfo64 shows the hotspot at 55C. Just another bizarre thing, I got a random system service exception BSOD the other day.

I've ordered K5 but it's been ten days since it was supposed to have left Greece and I'm not confident about it ever reaching me. Unfortunately Amazon India's run out of K5. So there's that slight issue. On the subject of thermal pad placement, is there a handy diagram I could use for the vapor chamber heatsink pad placement?

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Do a search for it on Google, should come up. Been done a few times on these forums.

8. TheFlyingPotato

Reputations:
    @Meaker@Sager Yep, I found the one you put up a while back. New pads should come in the coming Tuesday, I'll take a picture of my pad layout and post it here when it's done. GPU picture then too.

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Sounds good :)

10. TheFlyingPotato

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No change in the situation, here's the picture of the heatsink and the card. Below is the layout I followed.
    [​IMG]