Clevo P870TM Battery Life

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bogomips8700, Jan 5, 2018.

1. bogomips8700

bogomips8700 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone,

Can anyone comment on real-world battery-life for the Clevo P870TM or similar? The 230 Watt Power Supply version claims use of 11.8A and the 330 Watt PSU version claims use of 16.9A. Using V*A for Watts looking at the 89Wh internal battery I get this: 89Wh / 19.5V = 4.5A, so I would expect it to last 1 hour drawing 4.5 Amps. However drawing 16.9 Amps I'd guess it'd get about 15min of battery time. Does that sound right? Can anyone comment on their real-world experience with this? Even at the 11.8A draw of a 230 Watt model, I don't see more that 30 min of Battery runtime unless I'm doing the math wrong... Is the battery on these more like a weak UPS for saving work and shutting down or can I work on the airplane with the internal battery?

2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The battery can't draw 16.9 amps. If it did, it would blow up.
    Since you know the battery's VOLTAGE, you can just multiply voltage times amps (which you cleverly found out), to get the maximum wattage. Keep in mind the battery voltage is LOWER than 19.5, so your math is still wrong. It's probably between a 14V to 16V battery, but definitely not 19.5V. So if you calculate the amps properly, and multiply by the battery voltage, you will get somewhere between 60 watts to 80 watts.

Trying to exceed 80 (a guess) watts will be limited by EC firmware. It will do various things; throttle GPU even more, set CPU power limit to reduced TDP, enforce BD Prochot to force CPU to 800 mhz if CPU TDP still exceeds total allowable power draw, etc. If you somehow disable BD prochot, then the system will most likely shut off, because there is still a failsafe if it can't throttle enough--it's called emergency power off.

Vasudev, Spartan and bogomips8700 like this.
  3. rommer

rommer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had a System76 version of this model and 1 to 1.5 hours on battery is the best you're going to see. My usage patterns are such that staying plugged into AC is not an issue. Try keeping the screen brightness as low as comfortable and you'll get slightly better battery life.

Vasudev and Spartan like this.
  4. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.