Clevo P870KM1 - get it now or wait for Coffee Lake?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by KabyZen, Sep 12, 2017.

1. KabyZen

KabyZen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Greetings,

I am looking into my first desktop replacement laptop that I can use for audio/video and some gaming. I've been paying attention to the Clevo P870KM1 from HidEvolution and am debating pulling the trigger and getting it. Those that have it is it a good investment, or should I wait for 6 core?

Also what is this PremaBIOS thing and how do I obtain this? Thanks in advance!

P.S. No BGA plz, too many balls.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is always something to wait for. Its up to you. Cofefe Lake will hit markets later this year, expect new motherboards for the Clevo around CES in January. I can't say if you need 6 cores or not for audio/video as i do not do that (no reason for 6 core gaming for a long while).

Prema is a a bios modder. He Unlocks and organizes bios options for CPU overclocking, Ram timings and overclocking, security features, and a bunch of other advanced features.

You can only get a Prema bios on Clevo and MSI systems sold by Prema partners. HIDevoulotion is a Prema partner.

4. sicily428

Reputations:
    LGA coffee lake cpus will be available in October. New clevos should be available for november

5. KabyZen

KabyZen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    (will have to learn how to quote later)

True but they'll prolly have to iron bugs out if it. Plus I wonder how hot a 6 core LGA would get in a laptop.

6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:

There has been some speculation and hints for release late 2017... but I doubt it. Historically Clevo has been late with their releases. And Cofefe requires whole new motherboard architecture. I won't hold my breath

We always appreciate early adopter (Beta testers) here at NBR :D

At the very least, there will not be a working Unlocked bios from Prema (or SVET) for at least 2 months after release.

Papusan likes this.
  7. sicily428

Reputations:
    Not speculations here. Check sager/clevo section of the forum. There are all infos about clevos and coffee lake cpus. As I said 5 october: release date for coffee lake LGA cpus and late november: releade date for upgraded clevos

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    Coffee Lake1 models based on Z370 chipsets (desktop CPUs) are coming late of November (rough estimation, through one reseller)

Vasudev, ThatOldGuy and sicily428 like this.
  9. sicily428

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I remember the early rumors, but I think as we get close to those estimated release dates, and they fly by, we will be on the edge of our seats for a while :)

The last I heard was Feb/2018 for Coffee Lake #1 laptops...and I am certainly not certain about that.

The earlier October rumors for Coffee Lake #1 LGA laptops might come true, but I wouldn't be counting on it. Especially now that we have further information that the Z370 is a rebadged Z270 and the "real" Coffee Lake #2 performance release of Z390 is way out in 2H18.

Also the 1151 socket used in a Z370 Coffee Lake #1 won't support *anything* except for the Coffee Lake #1 CPU's, no 7xxx CPU's are supported, and my guess is if the Z390 Coffee Lake #2 CPU's for full performance come out, they are just as likely to not be supported on Z370 either.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    ThatOldGuy and sicily428 like this.