Clevo P775TM with RTX 2080 and 9700K or 9900K CPU: how HOT does this thing get?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Crexis, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Crexis

Crexis Newbie

Reputations:
    I want to buy a high-end gaming laptop and currently looking into the 17.3 inch Clevo P775TM. I'd love to buy it with the RTX 2080 and either a i7-9700K or i9-9900K CPU.

However my point of concern is the heat that this beast will undoubtedly generate. Especially considering these are desktop grade CPUs.

Anyone here that can share some experience or insight regarding how well this machine behaves after longer periods of intense gaming?

As for the CPU, I would prefer the 9900K but I've read it gets particularly hot (not just in this config but in general). My main purpose for this laptop would be gaming so I may be fine with the 9700K as well, or does that not make any significant difference in temperature?

I don't intend to do any overclocking though. This thing will be more than fast enough as it is.

2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For gaming the temps of the 9900K will be fine at stock since it will rarely be utilised to 100% (and not many games use AVX), the GPU should also run cool since it only has a 150W TDP. If you want the best temps though, consider buying from a reseller like HIDEvolution who will delid your CPU and apply liquid metal to the IHS and heatsink. Most 9900Ks seem to be pretty good quality silicon too, so they should run at around their stock clocks with a significant undervolt which will further reduce temps.

Ashtrix, GrandesBollas and Papusan like this.
  3. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It'll run very hot assuming you push it 100%, gaming it's pretty hot at around 80-90C from what reviewers seem to say. Personally, I wouldn't consider it unless you really need the utter max performance, as well intel 9th gen mobile is around the corner with a full i9 8 core apparently

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    And 9th gen unlocked 8 cores Mobile will run much cooler and maintain max clock speed?

5. Crexis

Crexis Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps hard to say, but would you by any chance have a rough idea when comparable laptops like this (with GTX 2080) will be available with i9 mobile CPUs?

It would be worth seeing the difference in performance, if not too much that could be worth it.

Otherwise I might actually go for the 9700K instead of 9900K.

6. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Laptops with 2080's are already widely spread, the Max-Q ones are power throttled to hell, roughly 2070 desktop levels. The few other 2080 laptops (GT75, Area-51m) perform very well, not quite sure about the GT75 vs the Clevo as it has a 8950HK instead of a LGA socket, but it's still a great performer (8950HK fully unlocked is 8700 levels.) The 51m is a far superior system to the Clevo in my eyes in everything but ports and performance, it's about equal to the Clevo's performance wise.

Crexis likes this.
  7. The Underdog

The Underdog Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a P751 with the 9900k (de lidded) and rtx 2080, and I'm pretty happy with it. As @Arrrrbol implied it's much cooler than it sounds like you're expecting. The 9900k is really power efficient at lower clocks, it's only when you get to overclocking that the heat really ramps up. The RTX 2080 is power limited at 150W, much less than a 1080.

Prime95 small FFT 1344k or looping Cinebench R20 at stock clocks and undervolted take me to the limits of my cooling. Not exactly everyday use. RTX 2080 sits around 65C running at max power. So you can probably expect even better performance in your bigger chassis.

The bigger question for you is around the huge variance in pricing among the options with the combo you're looking for. If money and size were no object I'd have gotten an Area 51m and a fire extinguisher.

Dennismungai, Crexis and Arrrrbol like this.
  8. atquantrandash93

atquantrandash93 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,

I'm considering the P750TM1-G and the P775TM1-G with 9900K and 2080. Can you tell me where you bought it from, your experience, tweaks, etc.?

9. shizz

shizz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It will run the same. If you want the same performance, then you’re looking at the same tdp, after adjusting for silicon quality variance.

atquantrandash93 likes this.