Clevo P770DM-G Randomly shutting down, for more than 100 days now.

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Hitto, Feb 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    INTL shipping is a PITA for sure. Even to the US it's a gamble from certain places. Even domestic shipping gets complicated sometimes.

330W would be a good idea if you're thinking about potentially trying to run an RTX card as they consume 150W alone. 220W was working before so, unless you know OC'ing will exceed that it's a waste of money unless you can find a more plentiful supply of 330's vs 220's.

A month of russian roulette on reboots though is gong to be frustrating until you get it replaced. I found a replacement option that's a bit cheaper by going USB-PD / adapter cable but, I don't think that would work so well with your setup since USB-PD is capped at 100W for now.

Just put in some time looking through the options on the new brick and it should pay off with a stable system. What I can find and what you can find are going to be different due to geo-ip rules depending on the site you're looking on or searching from.

Hitto likes this.
  2. Hitto

Hitto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    well, I am known for my patience haha, Jokes aside, what brands should I look for ? my current adapter that served me 4.5 years is from (Delta electronics), I also read good things about (UpBright) and (Chicony).

Edit: you are right, 330W is a waste of money, with the CPU under max load it consume 75-80W and the max GPU power draw is 120W so 230W should be enough.

joluke likes this.
  3. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Like I said before I have a Chicony but the guts of it being Delta is ideal.

I would find a couple of them as options and then dig for reviews to see how they hold up.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Having the headroom longterm will have the brick cooler if you want to smash the machine with a heavy load.

joluke likes this.
  5. runix18

runix18 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agreed.
    Advantages of 330W:
    - Better stability (not running on peak wattage means that the curent filtration system is not overloaded).
    - Runs cooler.
    - Longer lifespan (hope you will get a good one).
    - Headroom for OC (if you ever want/need).

Cons of 330W:
    - More expensive.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It's also heavier and bigger.

7. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    - Better stability (not running on peak wattage means that the curent filtration system is not overloaded). 90% of the time you're running @ under 50% when not gaming
    - Runs cooler.See above
    - Longer lifespan (hope you will get a good one).Original charger lasted 4.5 years which is pretty good
    - Headroom for OC (if you ever want/need).OC'ing isn't going to make a huge difference in the current draw

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Also I saw no mention of thermal paste or more importantly thermal pad checks (on the VRM chips)

joluke likes this.
  9. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Point 24. He did repaste on OP

10. Hitto

Hitto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ٍSorry I didn't mean to ignore, but when I opened up the machine to re-paste everything was perfectly fine and nothing out of place or touching anything that it is not supposed to.

at this point am just starting to build my desktop on pc building sites and see if there is any compatibility issues because I am thinking of salvaging what I can from this sad laptop

I am thinking about taking out the i7-6700 and SSDs and HDD and 2 sticks of ram (with the help of the DDR4 RAM adapter I found on Ebay)
    then I should buy (Motherboard that supports the 6th gen- GPU - PSU - PC case)

that solution look more pleasing to me especially that this laptop is underdelivering in the latest games, I always have to lower everything in the settings to be able to maintain 60 fps

Edit: I don't know what I will be going with to be honest, But I will wait like a month before buying anything, +80~100% of the price just for (Customs and duties) in this country is preposterous! So I will wait until I travel...in the near future.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021