Clevo P750DM/P770DM Thunderbolt Firmware Update v16

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Phoenix, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Adbear

Adbear Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not incredible at all, as I've already said, nothing shows up in Device Manager unless you have something connected through TB or you get Controllerforcepower to work. My current P775DM3 has nothing in Device Manager unless I connect something or us Controllerforcepower.

The only time I've seen Controllerforcepower come up with that error message is if CMD is not running as Admin. I can even get it to do exactly the same on my current laptop if I run CMD in normal mode

2. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    You can even force power from the thunderbolt settings in the BIOS. At least in the Prema Bios, not sure about stock.

3. Adbear

Reputations:
    You can't do it in the normal BIOS

4. Adbear

Reputations:
    Even with the TB disabled in the BIOS ControllerForcePower only gives that error if CMD is running in normal mode. If it's running as Administrator then I don't get an error message

5. DoZe

DoZe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Pfiiuuuu.... happy.... the only way was a CMOS Reset (and when you do this, you clean the NVRAM too) and hurray !
    ControllerForcePower 1 (AdminMode of course)
    the "Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1575" back in business (Driver 16.2.51.2 from Intel)

Warning : if you did a Cmos reset (remember, this one clean the Nvram too) and have more than one UEFI OS and Bootloader you lost the boot entry in the bios.

(And "OS Select" is set to "Others")

The only one visible after my cmos reset was the "Windows boot manager"

I need to mount the EFI partition, remove the Microsoft EFI directory, restart and go to the bios to select my "UEFI OS" in 1st choice and "Windows boot manager" in 2nd place.

Suggestion : Prema ? Can you add in the future bios release an "Add boot entry" in the boot menu please ? ;OD

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    jaybee83 likes this.
  6. jeffrey broullire

jeffrey broullire Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    It was suggested to me to join the site
    and reach out to @Phoenix to help me set up a clevo p750dm2-g with the Prema bios
    once I receive the unit ordered from hidevolution (in about a week)

thanks for your help,

jeff

7. Cruellyricisti

Cruellyricisti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I want to add some of my own confusion to this thread.

I have a Clevo P750DM-G, I received this unit Oct 2015. From all my research, 750s received around that time should have the Thunderbolt 1575. My 750 has Thunderbolt 1577, similar to the 870s, DM3s, etc...

Now the BIOS version is 1.05.04 dated 10/5/2015.

I know I need a BIOS and EC update, others have posted later BIOS revisions. But, the thunderbolt firmware update posted in the OP worked without a hiccup, and also from my research the Thunderbolt 1577 appears to be the one capable of eGPU support, but I have no way of verifying until I am able to get a BIOS/EC update, which could be quite some time; I am in the middle of production and can't spare the down time.

P.S If anyone could point me in the direction of being able to identify what mainboard SKU I am using, that would be a huge help; not only in clearing up this Thunderbolt confusion, but I also want to find out if this mainboard has the physical connections to support a 3G/4G card. The mSATA slot is there but the LTE antennas are not. Not an issue I can run them myself IF the SIM slot and mSATA modem slot have not been physically disconnected.

8. Adbear

Reputations:
  9. jeffrey broullire

jeffrey broullire Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

There is so much knowledge here -- my brain hurts.
    I don't have anything new to add but thank you.
    Have a great weekend.

J

jaybee83 and Prostar Computer like this.
  10. JADabandon

JADabandon Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello folks, I am posting here to verify some information, I have a P750DM-G that I got awhile ago and holding back on replacing with a newer generation laptop until I have exhausted all upgrade options.
    I just purchased a Akitio Node and have been troubleshooting it, trying to get it to work.
    After reading some posts in this thread, I noticed people talking about Thunderbolt 3 chip versions 1575 and 1577, my laptop has 1575 and I've been struggling to get past limitations with it.
    Is it confirmed that Thunderbolt 3 1575 will not run external gpu's?
    Btw I did try running the firmware update tool, when it lists my controller for me to select, it says This controller doesn't support device firmware update.
    And when I try selecting a firmware to update with, it says SDK_VENDOR_MISMATCH.
    Also when I attach the thunderbolt cable to my port, after the port has been powered up, the only thing that I notice is the device manager window will refresh, but I don't notice any new devices in my list.
    The GPU never seems to power on.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017