Clevo P750DM-G (2016) GPU Failure

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Eralius, May 20, 2019.

1. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You don't need a G Sync GPU, you just won't be able to use it with a new card.

AVOID the Eurocom GTX 1070. They are sourced from a Chinese company called GeCube and they are notorious for dying. I don't even think Eurocom sell them anymore anyway. There is a newer version of it by GeCube which is more a standard MXM and seems to have a beefed up VRM design. I don't know of anyone trying one though, but you can find them here: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...iAA2go&id=573568242587&ns=1&abbucket=3#detail

If it will fit, the best option is the MSI 1070 as it has the best VRM and they do not die very often. I'm not sure if this will fit in the chassis without modifications though.

The MSI 1060 is pretty much standard MXM 3.0 so that will likely fit and *should* be compatible.

Any non Clevo card is going to need .inf modding to install the drivers.

@jaybee83 may know more about that chassis

sicily428, Papusan and jaybee83 like this.
  2. Eralius

Eralius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay,

Well I definitely want something that I know will just work when I plug it in. Like literal plug and play. Unfortunately, I think I’m just going to have to go with the $650 replacement from prostar. It’ll kill my account right now... but it seems like there’s too much unsureness around getting my own card. I found a 1060 kit for $480. But, it says it will not work with 9xx card Clevos: https://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30463 . There wouldn’t be any chance they’re wrong and it’s actually fine would there? I think I gotta go with Prostar. The trustworthy 980’s I’ve found online are even $800. I don’t get why they’re so expensive! But it is what it is.

3. Eralius

Reputations:
  4. Ryan Russ

Ryan Russ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. Eralius

Reputations:
  6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    while the msi 1070 is a good card in terms of VRMs / max wattage, ull have to give up/destroy one of the machine's M.2 slots in order to make that annoying tab fit... i checked that option myself a while ago and discarded it due to that :)

@erelius: the .inf mod for drivers isnt that difficult to implement (plus u only need to do it for new gpu driverd, so fire and forget) so dont't be afraid to go for a 1060 if you find a good deal. iirc all pascal cards are gsync enabled, but dont take my word for that.

@Prema any input on this?

980M cards are only super expensive if you buy them brand new. look around the NBR marketplace and u might score a better deal from a trusted forum member, in case you decide to go the maxwell route.

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Prostar Computer likes this.
  7. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe mobile G-Sync is a switch buried in the BIOS somewhere and not actually GPU specific. Funnily enough, the Linux driver doesn't even bother checking for it and will just function as long as the panel is recognized as supported.

Probably a good idea to get some good paste anyway. Kryonaut is my go-to.

8. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    that depends on the gpu generation i think. with the 900M series, there was a vbios in addition to a hardware part on the mxm board itself, aside from panel support. not sure with regards to pascal and turing though.

9. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    MXM-b 1060 is generally a good choice for user seeking to replace a 9xxM.

MXM-b 1070 I would only ever suggest the refreshed version (with all MOSFETs soldered into place) and only with stock 90W vBIOS (no power mods).

Plug'n'Play GPU upgrade driver:

https://premamod.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/j95-nvidia-inf/

Forget about g-sync

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    External g-sync will still be usable of course, just not on the internal panel.