Clevo P750DM-G (2016) GPU Failure

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Eralius, May 20, 2019.

1. Eralius

Eralius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Guys,

I really appreciate everyone’s responses. Thank you @DaMafiaGamer for assuring me that DIY is a great way to go. Thank you @Prostar Computer for being proactive and taking the time and effort to post and work with me here! I will send you my RMA number and let’s see what we can do. I would like to go through you guys. But, like I said that price tag is just really steep. @DaMafiaGamer so is it just as easy to pop a GTX1070 MXM into my laptop as a GTX980m? Would I need to modify anything? Would it work with my current hardware? That does sound like an interesting avenue. I will contact Prostar and see If that price tag can be adjusted and proceed to weigh that against the DIY approach with the same graphics card or a 1070. I’ll let you all know what I decide.

@Ultra Male Any suggestions?

2. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep it is just plug and play, as far as I know there was no heatsink mods necessary, at least not on my p750zm or p771dm-g.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    So long as you get the right card and monitor the pads are making contact to the vrms.

4. Eralius

Reputations:
    Alright guys, it's been some time but I am here with some updates. So unfortunately Prostar computers couldn't really give me any kind of discount. I mean they brought the price of the GPU down to $650 but I couldn't justify it. So, they still have my computer as there were a few other issues with it like the D-drive, the casing was damaged and some other minor issues. I should have it back upcoming week. It's unfortunate it took so long, considering I really need it but I can't change that and it's partially because of the repairs I wanted. Anyway, I'll be installing my own card at this point and I would love some guidance. What I would like to know:
    • I would prefer a GTX 1070 MXM if I can smack that in there. Apparently there are different sizes... a smaller variant by Eurocom (Reference: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Euroc...-card-to-fit-into-older-laptops.257520.0.html). In addition this card should cost me over $500. Just want to know which to get and where to source it from and if it matters that much
    • I would still like to compare the GTX 1060 and 980m card prices. Where do you guys recommend I get them from? And what are the right formats? Just to be sure?
    • Lastly if I could get some links to installation guides, that would be awesome!

I believe that is all. If anyone has any recommendations or anything to add; it is always appreciated. Thank you guys so much! Hope to hear from you soon!

5. Eralius

Reputations:
  6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    MXM cards dont really have official sources as such so places like Ebay and the odd reseller site is about the lot.

7. Eralius

Reputations:
    You know anything about the sizes for the 1070? Apparently there is a smaller format per the link above. Do I just get a regular MXM? No bios updates/modifications?

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Define regular mxm, nvidia no longer releases a reference. There are a variety of shapes and some that fit better than others.

9. Eralius

Reputations:
    Well, that’s a good question. I guess there’s not. I’m not as well informed on the subject as you are :). I’ve just been perusing trying to find one that fits and am not clear on which ones would. Or which 1060’s would for that matter. Just want to get my computer working at this point haha. Maybe a 980m will be easiest. @DaMafiaGamer @Stooj @Ultra Male You guys got anything?

My understanding is that the card has to be a GTX10xx MXM 3.0b. But even then I’m not sure they’re the right dimensions when I do find those. Here’s a 1060 I’ve been considering: (https://www.ebay.com/p/NVIDIA-GeFor...-0-Type-B-for-Alienware-Clevo-MSI/16028487546). I can post some more links in a couple hours and check with you guys to see if those will be compatible. Much thanks!

10. Eralius

Reputations:
    In addition I would love to know the following:
    • Do I need to get a G-sync capable GPU? My computer technically has G-sync and had it on the last card.
    • Do I need to buy anything in addition to the card? Like thermal paste?
    Plugging in a graphics card is new territory for me... so I really want to get it right.