Clevo P651SE Screen Upgrade to 120/144hz

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Labdob, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Labdob

Labdob Newbie

Reputations:
    So I spotted nice cheap 970m clevo with 60hz PHILIPS LP156WF6 3874Y display in it.

Can someone tell me if I could upgrade that screen to 120/144hz ?

Original screen has 30pin edp right side slot. How to find new panel for it?

2. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For 30pin, your main option that everyone recommends is the N156HHE-GA1, and its the safest option for 120hz. Theres the NV156FHM-N4B also, but alot pricier.

3. Labdob

Labdob Newbie

Reputations:
    They would be plug and play or should I expect bios updates and permanent 100% brightness ?

I saw that 120hz mentioned few times but isnt TN bad? or viewing angles and colors are decent in modern ones?

4. Casowen

Reputations:
    It should plug in and play. Im not aware of any drivers for panels, but there are drivers for monitors like Ben-q for instance. Brightness is completely software controlled, so not 100% all the time.

TN is bad for viewing angles and CR, but color is good along with response time for this panel.

5. Labdob

Labdob Newbie

Reputations:
    NV156FHM-N4B looks amazing on paper I am worried about that 15 ms response time tho.

I also found 17 inch variant of P650 that use 40 pin connector are there any popular upgrade screens in this formfactor?

6. Casowen

Reputations:
    40 Pin panels are the easiest to find variety, while 30pin isnt. If you go for a 30pin, I would say try to get both panels and take back the one you dont like.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019