Clevo p650RS-G hard crashing

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Adobo9, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Adobo9

Adobo9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sigh,

hey everyone. So it's been roughly about a year since I bought the p650RS-G model and I've honestly had nothing but problems with it. This model has the 6820hk and gtx1070 on it.

It's fine 100% of the time if I'm not gaming, but as soon I start playing games this thing goes to **** unfortunately. I'm guessing it has to do with higher end games because something like PUBG, fortnite, Path Of Exile will crash, it's just a matter of when. And all it does is hard crash my system, not a BSOD, and it gives no good error code that I can debug.

It's event 41, task category 63, "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I've tried pretty tried much every solution on here, undervolting, reinstalling windows, reverting to previous drivers, I even have the latest BIOS and EC from my reseller and all this does not fix my problems. Is it finally time to just RMA this thing. It's given me so much headache it's not worth the trouble anymore.

On a side note, the crash is basically the laptop hard crashes and a looping sound goes on FULL blast basically destroying my ear if I wear headphones/earphones, so I basically have no idea when it will happen.

I think I should probably just RMA.

Has anyone really experienced issues like mine? The whole reason for me getting this machine is to play high end games, at this point I've tried every solution I could on the forums, bar rerolling to the stock driver this unit came with, but that sounds counter-intuitive, but eventually I will probably try that...

Thanks everyone, hopefully I can get some insight!

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    If it has happened over a year and across multiple driver updates then an RMA is the only option.

3. aIex

aIex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you undervolted your CPU?

4. Adobo9

Reputations:
    Yup!

That's one of the first things that I did.

I also thought that perhaps the undervolt was causing the issues, so I put it back to stock, and the problem still occurs.

5. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you tested your RAM? If you have two sticks try removing 1 and alternating, then try Memtest.
    It's about the only easily fixable thing I can think of that can create a hard crash.

EDIT: Also try swapping between DISCRETE and MSHYBRID as it can sometimes point out if your GPU is failing.

6. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    We've seen this and it's usually indicative of a failing GPU. Go the RMA route, and consider sending your adapter with the system so your seller can check on that, just to be thorough.

7. Adobo9

Reputations:
    Thank you, I suspect as such. It's a shame, RMA it will have to be!

8. Adobo9

Reputations:
    I have tried doing a memTest and I believe everything was fine, I have not actually tried testing each one separately though...

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Usually if you are having a problem for such a long time the reseller is there for support and you should reach out.

10. Adobo9

Reputations:
    Agreed, I just held out for so long because there was a long period where I wasn't gaming heavy, and the new BIOS + ec hadn't really caused any crashes often, AND working a full time I just didn't have the time or thought the need to RMA.

All is well though, RMA sent and hopefully my device comes back pristine.