Clevo P650HS-G vs Clevo P950HR

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Ripton Riptonk, Aug 7, 2017.

1. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Some thoughts half way into this :

The following is a P957HR or EUROCOM Monster Q5, which retails for :
    [​IMG]
    Google says that is :
    [​IMG]
    So to be clear, see the following :
    [​IMG]

That above is clearly a different configuration, which is why I crossed the price out.
    What I am testing is STOCK. That is the 60hz panel, which is what I'm using.
    It is extra, see panels here :
    [​IMG]

Maybe adding an extra NVMe as well could be here : (NEWEGG, in CDN$)
    [​IMG]

What comes stock was a 500GB HHD, and it's pretty good, HDD have come a long way since SSD's have been taking over, it's not like they stopped getting better.

It's running cooler than I had expected out of the box, the picture when running Firestrike was amazing, quite impressed actually.
    [​IMG]
    It does produce some noise, let me get my sound meter going :
    (I'm in my studio office, so what I thought was LOUD, really was 12-14bBs... then again I can hear my cat breathing from 10ft away while it sleeps, my whole room is sound conditioned so I can game at night and hear the slightest audio in games for best immersion on my soundblaster ZXR on my main rig).

So main computer which is a desktop with 6950X and such and this laptop in tandem with it's fans running produces the following in sound:
    [​IMG]

Wait I upload pic from camera in sec... the shutter from the camera (which is not very loud at all) was more then double the ambience, lol.

I put the phone on my wallet to suspend it 1.5" from the table to pickup SOME vibration but not all, and positioned the mic close to where the most sound was coming from too, without being BEHIND the laptop. in some places infront of the laptop, it was less then 10dB..

You can see on the screen, and this is with fans going as in full use, no tricks.

So it's not silent, but not very loud either, these fans are relatively small. Theres 2 for the VGA and 1 for the CPU with a shared heatsink.

I will show that stuff later and my thoughts, when we try and optimise this laptop.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  2. woodzstack

Reputations:

Damn it plays smooth, holyhell !

This laptop is amazing !

Temps went down...the firestrike benchmark was more demanding then this game was on max, or relatively the same.

3. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Does anyone want to see anything in particular about this laptop ?

Something on insane settings, something more demanding then the witcher on max everything please, because that was smooth as hell, there has got to be something more demanding out there for this...right ?

latest TombRaider ? StarCitizen ? Otherwise I will simply move on to a breakdown/teardown and repaste and retest etc...

4. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Could you fire up HWInfo and have a look at the USB 3.1 controller?

In particular, it'll tell us if it's:

A) Alpine Ridge
    B) Potentially TB3 compatible via a firmware flash

I'm still surprised Clevo left TB3 support out of the 15" model when they included it in the 17" version.

5. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Sure, let me try that now.

6. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Alright so where do I find this info ?
    [​IMG]

7. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You'll have to look under "Bus" instead of ports. If it's Alpine Ridge it's connected via x4 PCIE.

It also occurred to me, the controller may not even appear unless you have something plugged in to the Type-C port.

woodzstack likes this.
  8. slimmolG

slimmolG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    -- I had the same p950/p650 dilemma, but the better cooling/performance increase mentioned seems enough to offset the extra weight for me. Also, the p650 has room for plenty of room and options for future hard drive configurations.

D2 Ultima and Vistar Shook like this.
  9. Ramsey66

Ramsey66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Heya! Thanks for the benchmarking you did. Is there any chance I could ask about the temperatures after a long stress test (at least more than an hour).

Also, how do you find the speakers? Are they any good? In broad terms how would you compare it to the p650? Do you prefer it?

10. woodzstack

Reputations:
    I left it on the "STRESS TEST" on firestrike for 2 days, the temps were the same, my ambience in the room was going up so I turned on air conditioning, and brought it to 23C (2 C less) and the temps never passed thier initial max on the laptop.
    This means the cooling IS effective, and there is not much build up, BUT 2C ambience is a huge thing, I would have to retest at 25C to be 100% sure.

I thought for sure I was going to overheat the laptop and thats why I turned AC on. Was pleasantly surprised.

This is a way better laptop then anyone would give it credit.

I will tear it down probably tomorrow, and repaste and try and minmax things, and see if that changes thing, and I can rerun any benches for you.