Clevo P650HS-G vs Clevo P950HR

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Ripton Riptonk, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Ripton Riptonk

Ripton Riptonk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I hesitate which Clevo Laptop to buy. I will be using it for Gaming (obviously) and for school - at a lecture table, working at the library and etc. Therefore I need something portable and not very hard to carry around.
    The laptops which I am hesitating between are the small, thin and lightweight Clevo P950HR and the somewhat bulkier and heavier Clevo P650HS-G.
    Here are the two configurations:

Clevo P650HS-G around 1700-1800$ USD
    Display
    15.6” FHD 120Hz 5ms 16:9 Matte Display w/ G-SYNC Technology
    Video Card
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 (8GB) GDDR5 (Pascal) DX12
    Processor
    7th Generation Intel® Kaby Lake™ i7-7820HK (2.9GHz - 3.9GHz, 8MB Intel® Smart Cache)
    Memory
    16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory
    M.2 PCIe NVMe or SATA SSD Slot 1
    Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D-VNAND SSD
    1st 2.5" HDD/SSD Bay
    1TB 5400 RPM 7mm SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
    Wireless Cards
    Killer™ Wireless-AC 1535 ac/a/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 4.1
    Dimension & Weight
    15.16" (W) x 10.67" (D) x 1.13" (H) - 385mm (W) x 271mm (D) x 29mm (H)
    5.84 lbs - 2.6kg with 4-cell Battery

Clevo P950HR around 1950$ - 2000$ USD
    Display
    15.6" 120Hz - 5ms Full HD (1920x1080) TN Antiglare Matte Type Display
    Video Card
    nVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1070 Max-Q w/ 8.0GB GDDR5
    Processor
    7th Generation Intel® Core™ Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor, 2.8 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.8GHz), 6MB Smart Cache
    Memory
    16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4/2400MHz
    M.2 PCIe NVMe or SATA SSD Slot 1
    Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D-VNAND SSD -
    1st 2.5" HDD/SSD Bay
    1TB 5400 RPM 7mm SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
    Wireless Cards
    Killer™ Wireless-AC 1535 ac/a/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 4.1
    Dimension & Weight
    14.96"(W) x 9.80"(D) x 0.73"(H) - 380mm (W) x 249mm (D) x 18.5mm (H)
    4.19 lbs - 1.9kg (with 4 cell battery)

Both of the laptops have a 120Hz, something which I was actually looking for. The P650 has a 7820HK processor, though I can go with a 7700HQ too. The main difference is the Max-Q GPU. Now, I've read a lot about Max-Q and there are sooo many different opinions that I got more confused than I was in the beginning.

My question is, is the P950HR is worth the extra price for an underclocked GPU (apparently with better thermals?) but insanely thin build? Looking at benchmarks, the Max-Q seems to be between the 1070 and 1060, however in real world (FPS tests for example) the Max-Q is only 5 to 10 FPS slower than the normal 1070. This is a huge dilemma for me right now, as I cant justify neither laptops as I need both a super powerful and portable machine and both of these devices seem great.

2. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Clevo P650HS-G has better cooling, performance and value. The only reason to consider the P950HR is if you really really need/want a thinner and lighter notebook and are willing to sacrifice some performance and thermals and pay more.

CedricFP and Ripton Riptonk like this.
  3. Ripton Riptonk

Reputations:
    Thank you for your fast reply. I am leaning towards the P650HS-G right now.
    The CPU thermals seem to be better on the P950HR, or at least according to these reviews:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/sager-np8157-clevo-p650hs-g-review-by-htwingnut.801138/
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/sager-np8950-clevo-p950hp6-review-by-htwingnut.805339/
    But the difference seems very minimal so that is not the point.

My other question is, do you think that the P650HS-G would be comfortable enough to carry around all day in a bag?
    And would there actually be any noticeable difference between the performance of those two machines?

4. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I would take the P650 if you could handle the slight weight/size bump. It is better cooled. I also highly suggest two sticks of RAM instead of one, and to ignore the 960 EVO in favour of an 850 EVO; you won't have any notice-able speed loss. Also get a 7200RPM drive for the P6, you don't want 5400RPM. Guarantee that. Also the 8265ac wifi cards over the Killer ones.

Sent from my OnePlus 1 using a coconut

5. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    At about 5.5 lbs, I'd say it's easy enough to carry around. Apples to apples, thermals should be just about identical.

Ripton Riptonk likes this.
  6. Ripton Riptonk

Reputations:
    Thank you everyone! I think (and by think I mean that I am almost 100% certain) that I will go with the P650HS-G. Pretty much everyone is saying good things about it :) ! The switch from a gaming PC would be something new for me, but, funny enough, I am looking forward to it as I want to become as portable as possible (also the fact that I can play my favorite games pretty muh everywhere makes me quite happy, hehe)

I will go with two sticks of RAM then :). I was thinking about the SSD, but some benchmarks are showing that the 960 EVO is more than twice faster than the 850 EVO? Also what is your opinion on the FireCuda SSHD (or hybrid hard drives in general) ?

PS. After looking at topics I found that many people are having problems with the Killer cards, thank god I asked here :D.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Meaning dual-channel vs single-channel? A lot of benchmarks prove that the overall performance difference between either configuration is rather small (i.e. 1 x 16 GB vs 2 x 8 GB), at GamersNexus, HardwareSecrets and an independent Reddit review. This includes even non-gaming, productivity-related tasks like data compression, media transcoding and rendering, etc. The difference is much less so with gaming.

TL;DR: take the single largest capacity stick you can afford if you're not going to fill out all four slots.

It is more than 2x as fast as the 850 EVO, but take a closer look at the random, rather than sequential IO performance. They turn out to be not particularly different. This is what matters most in day-to-day use. Let's say your game loads in 2 seconds. Will it matter much if it ends up loading in 1.5 seconds? It may add up, but even then you'll get maybe an hour extra time per year after waiting less.

I mean, @D2 Ultima is entirely correct in saying that you're not exactly getting your money's worth. It's like buying a GTX Titan XP just so you can jack up your settings from 4096x4096 shadow quality to 16384x16384. You won't notice the difference unless you really, really look for it, and often, it is not worth the significant increase in price.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    CedricFP likes this.
  8. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is a rather large performance difference in CPU-intensive games between single channel and dual channel RAM.

D2 Ultima likes this.
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Have you read both reviews? Excluding synthetic memory tests (MaxxMem), nearly every benchmark from CPU-heavy games (Witcher 3, GTA V) to CPU-only productivity tasks like transcoding with Adobe Premiere Pro or HandBrake shows little, or no difference between the two arrangements.

10. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I saw the review. Those aren't CPU-intensive games. CPU-intensive games are for example PS2 96+ vs. 96+, BF4/BF1 64-player Conquest, 64-player RO2/RS/RS2, 32-player Insurgency/DoI, ARMA III, Crysis 3, PUBG, RTS games, etc.

Ionising_Radiation and D2 Ultima like this.