Clevo P375SM / Sager NP9390 GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by OH CANADIA!, Oct 28, 2020.

1. OH CANADIA!

OH CANADIA! Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the response.

Yeah I was beginning to come to that conclusion as well that the 980m would be the max I could upgrade with the P375SM.

Doesn't make sense going SLI though as newer games no longer support SLI or Crossfire.

2. OH CANADIA!

Reputations:
    Removed for double posting.

3. OH CANADIA!

Reputations:
    Hey, thanks for responding to my question especially considering that you don't normally answer posts, I really appreciate it.

I didn't know there was a SAGER rep on this forum, that's awesome!

For quick reference though, would I be able to use this 980M to upgrade my P375SM;
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/GTX-980M-Gr...942566?hash=item33e302c8a6:g:wkAAAOSw4FRcrx4p

Also would I need to change the heatsink (I currently have 2x 8970m installed) if I switch to the 980M?

4. OH CANADIA!

Reputations:
    No worries.
    I appreciate all the feedback you have given me so far, it's been quite an interesting learning experience.

5. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    This card should work just fine and of course you would need the respective heatsink but these are pretty cheap to come by and readily available.

Ask the seller if he/she can flash a Clevo vBios before shipping in order for it to be plug & play for you.

If you run into heat issues we can deal with them later but from my experience, the original heatsink handles the 980 just fine with a bit of an undervolt.

6. OH CANADIA!

Reputations:
    Hey thanks for the information.

Worst case scenario i'll just have to follow a guide on how to flash the vBios from Windows 8.1.

What has me worried is if the heatsink that I currently have for my 8970M, would that work for the 980M in terms of positioning (would the heatsink be positioned correctly right over the chip)

7. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    Hmm ... Good question. I personally think it should fit but you will need to tear the black tape on the heatsink die contact plate because the die orientation is completely different between AMD and Nvidia.

Power consumption wise you would have to be careful because my undervolted 980m hits 120 watts some times. That being said, the 8970M has itself a 100 watts TDP so it should be ok as long as you don't push it too hard.

The cooling of other components on the card is a whole different story though. I would personally recommend that you look for the correct heatsink or make sure that everything that needs cooling on the card could be cooled with the AMD heatsink.

8. OH CANADIA!

Reputations:
    So what sort of heatsink would I need to look for to replace the one I currently have, assuming it does not fit.

9. OH CANADIA!

Reputations:
    UPDATE:

Okay so I've gone ahead with the purchase of a GTX980M and the supplier has said they will do the vBios flash for Clevo.
    All I need to do now is to update the BIOS and make sure I have the correct heatsink.
    I already got the new BIOS from the guys over at XOTICPC and I have to flash it (incredibly scared I brick my pc here).
    All I'm stuck on right now is the heatsink for the 980m. I have checked with R&J Tech in the U.S.A and they have a heatsink compatible with the 880m but have told me the 980m is not compatible with the P375SM. Anyone have any ideas?

10. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    That is the kind of misinformation that I hate the internet for. The 980m is not only compatible, but natively supported on that platform. In other words, you don't even need to mod Nvidia drivers when trying to install them & there are no tricks involved in getting a 980m working in this machine, it is P&P.

The 880m heatsink will work perfectly with the 980m.