Clevo P375SM / Sager NP9390 GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by OH CANADIA!, Oct 28, 2020.

1. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Ranger cable is 40 pin. M17xR3/4 is 50 pin. IIRC Rainer pulled this one off.

2. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    I personally worked on the M17x R4 and that had a 40 pin cable almost identical to that of the Ranger's. Cannot speak for the R3 though.

@rainer124 ... Could you please shed some light onto this? I am highly interested in how you did this & what you exactly did.

3. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    ...and I've got an M17x R4 screen that's 50pin ;)

4. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    That is rather odd yet very interesting to me ... Can you send me a link or your cable part number? I am highly interested in the motherside connector of that cable and its pinning.

5. OH CANADIA!

OH CANADIA! Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't think it's worth the effort if the end result is going to require the use of an external display as I use this laptop for work when I'm travelling.

I am not sure what you mean. Can you explain?

6. OH CANADIA!

Reputations:
    Hi,

Would the P4000 work as an easy replacement for the 8970m?
    Would it just be a matter of swapping the cards, and would I be able to use the same heatsink ?

7. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Yes, as long as you've got an edp screen and running the unlocked bios and gfx settings set to PEG.

First of all, to make sure everything is set right, run HWINFO64, it should tell you what kind of screen you've got - In the Monitor tab, you'll have Digital Video Interface Standard Supported. If it says "Display Port", then you're golden. Otherwise, like stated somewhere in the discussion, remove your keyboard and look for a long connector going to the screen. Generally eDP and LVDS of this generation have an identical plug, but the eDP has screws in it (NEVER connect eDP to LVDS and vice versa). I'd need a confirmation from someone here that has greater CLEVO experience, but that's how it looks in the Ranger.

If you have an eDP port, but not the eDP screen, worry not - there are fairly cheap screens for sale, generally about <100$, with 120Hz being pricier, but 120 is not exactly must have, 60 will do. It's the port standard that counts (it would be wise to find which models are supported in your machine).

If all that is done, then it's going to be fairly straightforward - switch to PEG, plug in the card, be ready for compatibility issues though. vBIOS may be from HP, for example, and that can hinder your progress, but someone must've done this upgrade up to this point. Search the forum. If it yields no results, we'll help. Maybe Dell vBIOS will work, maybe some variation of HP, I can't tell right now. In a few weeks I'll be going through a similar process with P375SM, I'll be swapping my Rangers components to it, and I'll be able to help you more (my card is already flashed with Dell vBIOS). In the meantime, if you want to get into modding, I suggest getting yourself an EEPROM flasher - I'm still using basic CH341A flasher, although I need to upgrade, with 1,8V adapter for Pascal cards (full set costs about 20EUR tops), you'll thank me later for that small gizmo, it saves you a lot of money that would otherwise go to your local electronics shop (in my case the set cost about as much as one vBIOS flashing done by them, and it takes 30 seconds, while I had to wait two days).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  8. OH CANADIA!

Reputations:
    Hey thanks for the advice, but I've got a few questions:
    1.) HWINFO64 doesn't seem to be working when I use Win Key + R to run it.
    2.) What exactly is an eDP and why is it necessary for my computer to have one?
    3.) If the computer has an eDP will I still need an external monitor for gaming or will my laptop monitor work?
    4.) What do you mean by "switch to PEG" ?
    5.) When you mention flashing the vBIOS what exactly does that entail? (Do I have to flash the UEFI via USB or something like that?)

9. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    @1 - just install it and run regularily. On Win10 it should work right off the box.

@2 - eDP is Embedded Display Port. It's a newer standard than LVDS (Low Voltage Differential Signaling, if wikipedia is to be believed) and it allows for higher bandwidth and subsequentially higher resolution/framerate than it's predecessor. It is necessary, because Pascal cards don't wire display through LVDS anymore.

@3 - No. Your internal display will do, as long as it's eDP.

@4 - There are a few ways in which your laptop does things. There is SG (Switchable Graphics or Optimus) where your laptop chooses the best card for the job, it juggles your Intel GFX and your dedicated card for the best performance it assumes (at the cost of about 15% of general performance) and there's PEG - PCI Express Graphics, in which it only uses your discrete graphics, at which point your battery life will be affected ( since you're using only the power hungry card) but there are no more conflicts along the way.

@5 - vBIOS is the BIOS of your video card (yest, they have their own that decides on hardware compatibility and their performance and how do they behave). There are a few ways to do that, either through Windows when the card is live, through DOS with Atiflash/NVFlash, or externally through the programmer I've mentioned. UEFI is your system BIOS, and as for that, I also recommend using it, since it generally boosts performance and speed of your machine, especially boot times when compared to Legacy option (I mean, Legacy BIOS is a backward compatible solution that works the same way since 1980s, so it IS slower ;) )

10. OH CANADIA!

Reputations:

Thanks for the reply.

For the HWINFO64, I've downloaded it, but I'm not seeing any of the information you mentioned under the Monitor Tab. I've attached a file to this reply.
    Is it eDP Supported?

Attached Files: