Clevo P375SM / Sager NP9390 GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by OH CANADIA!, Oct 28, 2020.

1. OH CANADIA!

OH CANADIA! Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

I found this card on eBay, would this work with my Clevo P375SM, or would I need to do modifications and/or change the heatsink?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Msi-gt83vr-...dr5-mxm-3-0-video-card-ms-1wov1-/264843849316

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I believe so, but you will need to mod the heatsink still.

3. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And you will need to file the case to some extent, as this card is slightly larger.

As for the P5000/5200, most of them don't have a vbios chip, so you'd need to swap a few resistors and solder in a chip, so it's a hassle, and you'd need to get a revision C or D of the card. Unless you find one with the chip. P4000 generally comes with the chip, and it just needs an insert swap.

4. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
  5. OH CANADIA!

OH CANADIA! Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

So as it turns out my LCD Panel on the laptop is only a 60Hz LCD and not a 120 Hz.
    As I understand it, only a 120 Hz panel will be able to support the GTX 10xx series cards....
    So unfortunately, it looks as though this has been all a pipe dream from the start, and looks like I may end up having to get a new computer if I want to get better gaming performance.

I'd like to thank everyone who responded to this post. Regardless of the outcome, your insight has been most valuable and I did learn quite a bit .

THANK YOU!!!!!!

6. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    It's not the end of the way for you :) if your 60Hz panel is edp then you can keep on the project :)

7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Can verify via hwinfo i think

8. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    It's highly unlikely that a P375SM will ever have a 60 Hz display connected via edp and not lvds. I am not sure if such a cable "60 Hz/edp" for that machine ever existed. I have a brand new 120 Hz screen for that machine laying down in its box because even the high bandwidth edp cable is extremly hard to find. Plus not every P375SM comes with the edp port soldered on the motherboard if the machine didn't come originally with a 120 Hz display "yes some manufacturers believe that this is how you can save money :D"

@OH CANADIA! ... The above being said you can pop open the keyboard and with a flash light try to check if you have both lvds and edp ports on the mobo. They are 2 white ports next to one another north of the keyboard, the long one should be edp and the short one is the lvds. If you have both you can always buy a 120 Hz display and go cable hunting, maybe you would have better luck finding that cable in NA.

If you don't have an edp port or don't want to invest money in the high refresh rate screen, you can always turn the machine to a true desktop replacement and use it with an external monitor.

EDIT: edp 50-pin cables part numbers 6-43-P37E1-020-J or 6-43-P1701-010-JD

9. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    From what I've heard, Alienware M17x R3/4 cable and screen can be easily fitted, as long as the eDP port is present :)

10. MahmoudDewy

Reputations:
    Screen side that cable is 40 pin & not 50 pin so it would not fit the compatible screens for the Clevo. Motherboard side the connector that Dell uses is completely different and would never fit in the Clevo without some serious modding. I doubt that even it would work after the modding because if my memory servers me well, the P375SM has a display whitelist.

Do you have a link, where someone has actually pulled that off?