Clevo P375SM / Sager NP9390 GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by OH CANADIA!, Oct 28, 2020.

1. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well... If I may chime in here for a bit, fully decked AW 17 R1 aka the Ranger, fully decked out, with 120Hz screen, a 1070M or equivalent, 32GB@2133MHz can and will run CP2077 with no difficulty, looking at the recommended requirements. With my P4000 (as proven being a "GTX 1065" equivalent judging by benchmarks) holds every single AAA title so far with 60+FPS on Ultra settings, even Crysis Remastered (being a bug-riddled mess when it comes to optimisation, AGAIN, history repeats itself ad nauseam...) going fluidly at about 45-50FPS at "Can it run Crysis?" settings with RTX off, because then it drops to PowerPoint Presentation level with 'teen frames, but that's what you get when you switch pointless gimmicks on. Borderlands 3? 80+, when things go into VFX maelstrom never drops below 60. Jedi Fallen Order almost always around 100. Couldn't give a crap about new CoD, but I guess it would also be pretty high. Doom Eternal went strong at about 100FPS when everything was exploding around.

Even with new generation, unless the developers reaaaaally push the requirements ( which were predicted with Pascal gen, and never truly delivered, and were predicted with Maxwell gen, which were predicted with Kepler gen... you get the point) or start to mess up with game optimisation (like with "twice the charm" Crysis example, I mean Jesus Christ, this game is still pretty with environment and still hideous with human faces) we still won't see a huge decline with game performance on any upgradeable and seemingly aging machine. General increase of performance each generation is averaged at about 15% a most (running Jedi:FO on m15x 940XM OC'd, 16GB@1600, M4000M@4GB and 17R1 4910MQ stock, 32GB@2133, P4000M@8GB, being double the resources, I've seen about 1,5 the stats, and they are separated by a few generations, not to mention hardware capacity like double the RAM or double GPU VRAM, the second machine being much more timeless due to no GPU chokepoint because it's not limited to a certain generation, yet still there are m15x motherboards floating around with eDP, that can theoretically let this 10+ years old machine run Pascal+ cards) and with all the established trends and unwritten laws the increase is fairly linear; most machines last for a few years stock, and generally double that if you can upgrade them (aforementioned Ranger proving that).

If what you want is 8K 300Hz gaming, then sure, your P375SM won't last any longer. However, if you simply want to game with 1080p@60+Hz (which for 99,9% people see and doesn't really need or see more, despite what shills tell you that is necessary) then you'll be fine with that little beast of a CLEVO. That particular machine can be decked to an unprecidented level, with almost no power limit on MXM and with proper parts, it can house 4940XM with 2x1070M (if you want to go SLI, otherwise you can plug in for example Quadro RTX 5000 or, when it comes out, some variant of 30xx card(s) ) with 32GB of 2133Mhz RAM, 120Hz screen and you WILL be set for a couple of years. maybe not 8, more likely 3-5, but if you get those parts at a fair price then they will absolutely return the investment. There is a whole community (many of them on this forum) that work their butts of to see what can be tweaked, what can be upgraded, what can be fitted into laptops that their OEMs abandoned, in many cases shaming the OEMs with results.

Can't argue with the logic of old hardware failig due to age. HOWEVER - it is still better than a failing BGA RAM chip forcing you to go through expensive fixing of the entire board rather than simply swapping it out for a new one. I'll take that gamble anytime.

And yes, he may be lucky to get 300 for it. As in for a bare bone one, plus bonus from parts resell, because laptop components still hold their prices due to some weird Cabal/Secret World Order conspiracy :p Also - for resale purpose, research different markets. Fully upgraded AW 17 R1 will go for less than 800 in some countries, but in others the price skyrockets. Stock AW 18 goes for about 750 in my country, and there ain't much that can be done about it. Judging by the market, I would probably sell my Ranger for about 1000-1200 due to components, but the deal is, most customers are uninformed, going for the deals that exist in their heads due to some idea of performance/flashiness, and sellers prey on that. Ever saw an offer that had a title like "i7! 8 cores! nVidia!" for 500$ just to find out that it's a 740Q (8 THREADS, not cores) with GTX 870 and other low level stuff? Yeah. I see it way too often. I've never sunk that low, but there are many like that, on both ends - scumbags that do that and krill that gets fished with it.

Goddamn, I've ranted again. Somebody please stop me from ranting...

JRE84 likes this.
  2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    wow I read all of that....first time ever not thinking tldr

he can get 500..crysis remastered looks amazing though....alienware has always had high resale value

3. kothletino

kothletino Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    GTX 1070m for 325$ only?

[​IMG]

4. OH CANADIA!

OH CANADIA! Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Without extensive modification that will not work in your system.

6. OH CANADIA!

Reputations:

Hi,

First thing's first, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the detailed explanation. I understand that this would've taken quite ALOT of time to reply to and I REALLY do APPRECIATE it!

My main goal is to be able to game at High - Ultra Settings at 60FPS for the next generation of games to come (i.e. Halo:Infinite, Cyberpunk 2077, Biomutant, Beyond Good & Evil , Elder Scrolls 6, etc.), so if a 1070m can provide that I'd be more than happy to spend a reasonable amount on upgrading it. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any testing for games that have released this year ( like Ghosts of Tsushima) as all the benchmarks are being done on games that have been out for 2 years or so, which could be a by-product of the COVID-19 situation but it still puts a 2 year gap between the technology used in creating games today vs 2 years ago.

That being said, I have to also look at the opportunity cost of getting a $1000 - $1200 laptop with the new RTX 30xx series (the reason the RTX 30xx series is being marketed at such low prices was to compete with Xbox and Sony, so the Mobile GPU's will most likely follow that pattern of being low priced which in turn would make the laptops cheaper hence the estimated $1000 - $1200 price tag) which would most likely last at least 8 years with Ultra High Settings @60FPS vs 1070m upgrade (@hopefully $300-$400) which may last 3 years at Ultra High Settings if so much (if you look at Ghosts of Tsushima Recommended Settings they state to use a GTX 1070) and that's assuming I don't have to buy a new heatsink or if it is compatible with my P375SM.

The fact that this forum is dedicated to shaming OEMs for going beyond the boundaries they've set for their products makes me proud to be part of it. That's just bada$$. Unfortunately, even though I can build PCs, my expertise in laptops is very limited (most I've ever done on a laptop was to swap the positions of my 8970m GPUs, swapping the primary 8970m GPU with the secondary 8970m GPU) and I'm not too confident in my ability to find an "easily replaceable" 1070m card for my 8970m (by easily replaceable I mean one that would fit exactly into place and I won't have to do any additional work like soldering or getting a new heatsink).

You mentioned that the P375SM might be able to fit a RTX 20xx and RTX 30xx series GPU, but I find that difficult to believe as I believe the motherboard itself only supports up to Gen 3 PCIe slots whereas the RTX 20xx and RTX 30xx series both use Gen 4 PCIe and Gen 5 PCIe respectively.

Also games have discontinued support for SLI and Crossfire so only games up to 2 years ago will be SLI/Crossfire capable, so having 2 x 1070m GPUs for future gaming is useless.

Anyone who ever tells you to stop ranting useful information like this, needs to be shot :p
    Power ON my good man!

P.S. Anyone know what type of 1070m I would need to easily replace the current 8970m I have?

7. OH CANADIA!

Reputations:
    Yeah the seller told me that which kinda led me back to square one.

What type of 1070m I would need to easily replace the current 8970m I have?

8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Generation of slot is not a point of contention. As long as it MXM 3.0(b) or in some instances 3.1b then any card that is of that form factor will work bar some exceptions in specific scenarios. Even if they are gen 4 I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work.

Im going to guess the MSI 1070 115w is going to be your card of choice.

9. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Glad to hear you liked it, It's nice to get some acknowledgement now and then :p

I used an example of 1070M SLI as a possible upgrade, just a singular one would do. My Ranger fits the bill on CP2077. As for most of current gen games. I'm running modern titles on my machine now and then to test it and nothing struggled so far. Horizon Zero Dawn PC version runs smoothly, for example. As do most titles, I think Crysis was the only exception, but for the reasons stated above. Nothing throttles, nothing freezes (well, not since I've swappedmy buggy 1TB Samsung HDD to a 1TB Sandisk 3D Ultra SSD at least). And that's on a P4000 card, so performance wise it's above 1060 but below 1070. If you're looking for a 1070 card, there are a few options - regular MXM card that would be a simple plug and play, then there are variants of that, being a bit power starved, or you can do a tiny mod to fit a slightly larger MSI card (not much, and there is a step by step DIY method on the forum). Or you can hunt down a Quadro P5000/5200, but if so, look for a non-HP variant, as that one DOES require soldering, since it doesn't have a vBIOS chip. If you find a Dell card, then you need to swap the vBIOS insert at the most, which, again, is explained step by step, numerous times, here on this forum :) P4000 is mechanically plug and play, as it is the same form factor. Some vBIOS waggling may be necessary, but that's it.

Also, PNY is working on RTX Quadro and other Turing cards in MXM form factor, and since they need to kkep with the seemingly abandoned standard, we have something to wait for. The site says "Available in 2020", they only have less than two months to deliver. I, for one, keep my hopes up :)

10. OH CANADIA!

Reputations:
    Hey, Thanks for the reply.

So for the Quadro P5200 (Dell Card) all I would have to do is change the vBIOS insert?
    Would it fit into the slot that the 8970m uses without issue and would the same heat sink work for it?

Also regarding the 1070m, I managed to find an MSI card on eBay, but I'm not sure if it is compatible with my own:
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Msi-gt83vr-...dr5-mxm-3-0-video-card-ms-1wov1-/264843849316

Would that 1070m Card work or would I need to do modifications?