Clevo p170sm - Mysterious boot problems

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Xify, May 12, 2018.

1. Xify

Xify Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't really know where to start with this. This is also my first in here for years but anyway, I have a problem with my laptop that I would like you guys to hear.

It started when I simply close my laptop to put it to sleep. The next day I see that the laptop actually never shutted down but is stuck on a black screen. When I restart the laptop, it not longer boots into Windows 10 and I only get a black screen.

When throubleshooting, I removed every part of the laptop one by one ( GPU, RAM, USB, Drives ), updated the BIOS, but that didn't fix the problem. I then tried to plug in a bootable usb key to reinstall Windows 10, but even that didn't work, it stays stuck at the windows logo, same thing with a windows 10 dvd.

I then tried to put in my old Windows 8 dvd and to my surprise it works. I can install Windows 8, install my applications, play games with my graphics card and everything works fine super fine. It seems that my Windows 10 is simply totally broken and I don't know what I can do to fix this.

2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you make sure to set the uefi/csm/legacy settings the same in new bios

Yes redownload win10 image would be something to try

Also play some more with swapping ram around to check a stick or slot hasn't gone bad (memtest too to check for errors)

Might be worth opening it up and giving it a clean (around pch mobo traces sata ports etc)

3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well you seem to have found the solution of your problem, possibly some windows 10 update which messed somethjing up.

4. Xify

Xify Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    But I don't know what's the real cause of this. I can't boot Windows 10 from a drive, a bootable usb key or a DVD so I'm pretty much locked out of Windows 10 entirely

Edit: Also memtest passed at 100%.

Edit2: Tried the Windows 10 bootable usb key on a second computer and it works well.

Edit3: Did a reset of the BIOS, same problem.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    So now when you try and boot windows 10 from the installer you just get a black screen?

6. Xify

Xify Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah that's pretty much it. Sometimes I see the logo but it hangs everytime, so right now I'm pretty much stuck with Windows 8.1.

One thing I noticed, when it hangs, the NumLock light indicator goes on.

7. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When did you create that bootable pen?

Is it the most recent Windows version?

8. Xify

Xify Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It is with the most recent Windows version and I created multiple versions with the Media Creation tool and Rufus with the iso.

I tested the bootable usb key on my Windows tablet and it works well but on the Sager laptop it simply doesn't boot.

9. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:

Sleep is garbage on W10 so I recommend never using it no matter how convenient it seems. That said, I've noticed that sleep/hibernate issues are related to the Intel graphics in many cases, so make sure you're also reloading those if you're doing anything with GPU drivers. There's something about how they hand off/take control of the system graphics that does not always play nice with sleep

10. Xify

Xify Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This seems to makes sense, since it always started when I my sleep went on sleep. By reloading do you mean by updating the drivers? Or should I do something in the BIOS?

I'm currently using the laptop on Windows 8.1

11. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes reloading the Intel GPU drivers for Sure