Clevo P170HM GPU Replacement/Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by MagicMike, Jan 9, 2015.

1. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    4 years is definitely not bad :)

2. Spiderprogram

Spiderprogram Newbie

Reputations:
    jaybee83 Thank you for the info, so it seems hm models are very specific because he got a dell card to work in another clevo model.

Can you recommend me a cheaper card than the 7970 and 680, I am not looking for high performance no gaming just good video playing.
    I am hoping to spend about 150 euro's on a second hand card. The performance of about the hd6970m is perfect for me, but a bit less is fine too.

But it is strange the gtx580m has a better score than the hd6970m on the website: www.videocardbenchmark

The problem is that, in europe it is so difficult to find a clevo card.

3. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    if ud be fine with a 580m, rather go for a 485m, its only about 5-10℅ slower at stock but way cooler and not as prone to failure. basically, u can use any 400M/500m/600m card from nvidia and any 6000m/7000m card from amd.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 8 NXT-AL10

Spiderprogram likes this.
  4. Spiderprogram

Spiderprogram Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much jaybee83, the problem will be finding one in europe that is reasonably priced, I have been searching for a few weeks on ebay and the only one's are dell card unfortunately.
    If you know anybody who has a second hand card he wants to sell for a reasonable price, I would be very grateful,
    like a gtx485m, or any card really.

5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    ill be sure to refer them to you :) no candidates atm though

also make sure to check the nbr marketolace regularly, u might find something there.

Spiderprogram likes this.
  6. LaptopNut

LaptopNut Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

Roughly what area do you live in?

7. Spiderprogram

Spiderprogram Newbie

Reputations:
    LaptopNut: I am from europe, Belgium.

8. LaptopNut

LaptopNut Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have an old GTX 485M that I pulled from my P170HM when I upgraded to a GTX 680M years ago. As far as I remember, there was nothing wrong with it but it has been in a box with other parts and the thermal pads may need replacing because they are a little worn.

I live in the UK and I could find out how much it would cost to ship it tracked to you. You could paypal me the postage cost and consider the rest an early Christmas gift. By the way, years ago I sold two laptops to members here and both were very happy but it was local.

I do notice that there were two metal strips on the GTX 485M where you screw it to the heatsink, so it looks like that years ago I was trying to get closer contact with the heatsink. Other than that, all looks fine.

9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    i would take up that offer, @LaptopNut has been around for a looong time here :) good times, playing around with the HM :D

Spiderprogram and LaptopNut like this.
  10. Spiderprogram

Spiderprogram Newbie

Reputations:
    Laptopnut: Wow, That is very very generous of you, I am very happy with your offer.
    If everything works great I will transfer you an aditional amount for the card.
    I have never used PayPal, I will look into it unless you don't mind that I transfer it by banktransfer.

How can I send you a private message to include my email address, because it is not allowed to post my
    email address here.

jaybee83 likes this.