Clevo P170EM upgrade with 980M: Little Big Details

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Dutch76, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Omgzpwnd

Omgzpwnd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yo,
    What were symptoms of your 7970 dying?

im in kinda same situation, most likely gonna have to upgrade gpu but gonna go 1060 path

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The 1060 will require some heatsink modding.The GPU is lower than the other GPUs, so you'll need to do something about it so it has proper contact, also the mosfets are located at a different location which will require some thick thermal pads in order to reach them.

3. Dutch76

Dutch76 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, at the instant of launching of a video game, the screen has gone blue, with some error message, locking the computer. At restart, the opening windows 7 screen (the one with the user login) was full of horizontal black stripes, like dead pixels in raws. After that:

No more dead pixels
    • Laptop locking with a black screen at start if there was any version of ATI drivers installed. Only way around: Safe mode.
    • Even starting in safe mode shown a Microsoft .NET error appearing in a window on the desktop
    • All attempts to change drivers version, repair and reinstall .Net Framework, perform windows updates has produced no change.
    • No effect of windows repair routines
    • No visible effect of updating all INTEL drivers
    • No virus or other issue detected
    • No HD failure detected
    • No RAM failure detected
    Finally, I've found peace installing the original, prehistoric Clevo P170EM drivers from here:
    http://www.clevo.com/en/e-services/download/ftpOut.asp?Lmodel=P1xxEM&ltype=9&submit=+GO+

I think these:
    AMD 7970M VGA card driver (9.1.0.0) for Windows 7.

After that, windows starts normally, no more .NET errors, the 7970M appears as failed and NON STARTING in the Device Manager and the laptop runs on the embedded video card even on video games, which is useless but at least do not generate any failure.

I'm currently investigating myself the possibility to move to a 1060, thanks to

4. Eurocom Support

Eurocom Support Company Representative

Reputations:
    P170EM can be upgraded to GTX 1060 and GTX 1070 too. We support both of these options. Check our Upgrade Section for details.

5. Eurocom Support

Eurocom Support Company Representative

Reputations:
    GTX 1060 doesn't require GPU heatsink modding - just need to redo thermal pads however GTX 1070 requires modding.

6. Sagres

Sagres Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Dutch76 did you manage to make it work? I thinking of doing the same as you.
    My HD7970 also died a month ago and I've been using the HD4000 since if I install the drivers of the AMD it will hang on the driver thread and bsod.

Thing is I don't have the possibility to shell out upwards of 500€ to upgrade the laptop I really wish I did but... I've also found a gtx980m for about 300€ and am planning to buy it but AFAIK not only the laptop bios has to be from prema, also the GPU bios has to be from prema.

For some reason it seems I can't send him a message so I'm afraid I'll end up with an expensive paper weight...

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    He may have messages turned off or his inbox is full ;)

8. Sagres

Reputations:
    And that means gg on me I guess...

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Until they are listed again perhaps.

10. Sagres

Reputations:
    @Prema now that I suppose you're back from your trip might I get some help or feedback from you? I still can't send you a message and still have a deaded GPU and I'm still broke :<