clevo p170EM gtx 970m not detected

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by msd1994, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msd1994

msd1994 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

I just installed the GTX 970m in my clevo p170EM. after installing prema's bios and vBios, I'm not having any luck installing the graphics drivers, it says it isn't being detected. I had this issue before with my gtx 675MX after I had to reinstall windows 7. Does anyone know what might have caused the error detecting it? I have the intel graphics driver installed, which I know is a pre-req.

any help would really be appreciated.

Thank you!

edit: i added my device's ID and subsystem to the nvam.inf file and it installed, but I don't know if it is working correctly, since in device manager I see the driver in device manager, though with the optimus activity indicator (enabled in nvidia control panel) isn't showing any activity. Does anybody know why this would be, or how to ensure I'm using my 970m for what I've set to use it for?

2nd edit: just checked bios. even after installing successfully, bios still says "VGA Card: empty".

How do I fix this? I made sure the card was seated properly.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    ashes0809 likes this.
  2. msd1994

Reputations:
    well, I switched back to my 675mx until I get this answered, hopefully it'll be soon... the 675mx is detected, made sure to check bios before booting all the way up.

3. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't know if it's the same issue but my P377SM-A doesn't recognize my 980Ms either, it says unknown but they work fine. If the drivers install, the card is installed properly but I don't have Optimus so I can't tell you what's going on with it.

Did you use DDU to clean all your driver's, reboot, install Intel drivers, reboot, install nVidia? It seems that commonly fixes Optimus problems.

schnoergsdalumaner and msd1994 like this.
  4. msd1994

Reputations:
    oh I needed to uninstall intel's drivers too? Crap... Okay. ill try that tomorrow. Thank you.

also, what is DDU? google answered this for me. display driver uninstaller? I'll try it when I reinstall. thank you!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    Ethrem likes this.
  5. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's just the recommendation I've seen around here when people have problems with Optimus, seems to fix most of them.

And yes, DDU is display driver uninstaller. You want to run it in safe mode and remove both Intel and nVidia then reboot and install the latest Intel drivers, reboot and install the latest nVidia.

6. msd1994

Reputations:
    okay, just clarifying. I would remove both, then switch out the graphics cards, *then* install intel and nvidia?

7. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Correct. The reboot inbetween each step is important too. Also turn off automatic updates to make sure that Windows doesn't install a driver in the background.

8. msd1994

Reputations:
    okay, and when you said your p377SM-A doesn't detect your 980m's either did you mean in bios they aren't detected but in windows they are, or other way around?

9. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My BIOS shows unknown for the cards. When I sent it off to Sager they didn't flash a new system BIOS. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the cards working in Windows.

10. MrDJ

MrDJ Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    this has to be asked.
    did the card come from a dell laptop or was it from a clevo supplier.

i know nothing about upgrading graphics cards but i do know that over the years many people have had issues putting a dell card in a clevo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.