Clevo P150HM dead NVidia 560M and maybe more

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Phylosophys, May 15, 2018.

1. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The thing is the charging circuit is not independent. If the battery can be charged, then the motherboard's main power rail is getting powered up.

Motherboard schematics are in the P150HM service manual.

Phylosophys likes this.
  2. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is more or less isolated, there is the input protection circuitry, and then the battery charger IC and change-over to/from battery and AC power are all at the early stages, and the battery IC can work standalone, if the led powers up, the EC seems to be functional as well.

By main power-rail, do you mean, the 19v rail?

Or in Clevo's is stepped down first?

Most of my experience is with Asus mobos, and the battery charger IC is powered right after the reverse polarity protection MOSFETs, the 3.3v aux rail needs to be present, but that one is a bit hard to kill usually.

3. Khenglish

Reputations:
    Clevos do not have a step down on the system voltage. The battery is charged by the 19V system power rail with a buck converter to step the voltage down for the battery. If the battery can charge, then the system must have a functional main power rail.

4. senso

Reputations:
    Same as the Asus, HP's, Acer, and maybe all others.

The battery charger IC depends mostly on the EC working so it can talk with the battery pack via PMBus, the chipset, or the CPU VRM's can be dead and the charger section can still work.

Can you try to remove your BIOS battery, battery, and AC, leave it for a couple minutes, plug the AC back in and see if there is any activity of the status leds/fans?

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Does it fire up if it has no CPU? If it does the CPU VRM is dead.

6. Phylosophys

Phylosophys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Meaker@Sager,

No, it does not power up when I remove the processor. Actually, my ultimate test was to remove everything (GPU, RAM, processor, discs) until only the motherboard remained, and even in that case no power up, either connect to the PSU or to the battery only.

7. senso

Reputations:
    Do you have a multimeter?

8. Phylosophys

Reputations:
    Hi Senso,

So, I did as you said and remove every power source (BIOS battery, battery, and AC) and left it like that a couple of minutes. Then I plugged the AC back but sadly nothing changed. Still no apparent response from fans or LEDs.

Yes, I have a multimeter. Any advice?

9. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Its not unusual for fermi cards to short. I've had 3 GTX 570Ms all shorted.

It's likely that the board has some damaged componment that prevents its startup. Since this is very likely caused by the short of your GPU, it's very likely that you will be able to locate the region of the board with the naked eye where it got damaged since a short usually ends up melting a chip or other components.

Phylosophys likes this.
  10. Khenglish

Reputations:
    This is strange because the HM series does not have a GPU power switch. The GPU dying can only kill the 3 FET switch between the wall power and the main power rail.

I'm thinking the battery saying its charging is a false reading. I can make a picture of where to probe to check if the main rail really is powered or not.

11. Phylosophys

Reputations:
    Hi Danishblunt,

Yes, after reading many post here in the forum I discovered that my 560M kind of had a long life (~ 7 years).

I did verified the MoBo in the area around the graphics card trying to find any sign of defective component but I did not had much luck, everything seems normal.
    I think I will try to get an amplifying glass and give it another try. Maybe I let something to pass.

Thanks.

12. Phylosophys

Reputations:
    Hi Khenglish,

It really seems strange but the battery is really being charged and also discharged over time when I let it plugged to the notebook, as I could observe.
    About the picture, sure it would be of great help. However, I hope this is not a nuisance to you.

Thank you.

13. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not every failure is visible, you would need to do circuit analysis to dive further (the start would be measuring power rails)