Clevo P150HM dead NVidia 560M and maybe more

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Phylosophys, May 15, 2018.

1. Phylosophys

Phylosophys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I am very new on the community and this is my first post.

Actually I found this forum because some days ago my Clevo P150Hm died on me. I was playing when it suddenly shutdown. At that point I noticed that the PSU was overheated and seemly was not working. Once I unplugged the cable from the notebook the PSU came back to life. So I understood that the problem was the computer itself. After disassembling some parts I realized that the problem was being caused by the NVidia 560M that had apparently died, what I confirmed later with a multimeter. The GPU is short-circuited.

Now, I am thinking in buying a new graphics card and trying to revive the my notebook (I don't want to give up on it). But, after some experiments and based on posts that I read here in the forum, it seems that when the GPU fried it carried other parts of the computer with it. I say this because when I try to turn on the notebook without the GPU nothing happens: no lights, no fans, no bips. However, even off, it is still charging the battery correctly and the indicating charging LEDs turn on.

Trying to figure out if something else was dead, I experimented removing different components until it remained with the motherboard only. But, in every case, the computer does not turn on or show any visible sign of life. I am thinking that the MoBo is also dead. So, other than buying and trying a new MoBo, is there a way to verify if the MoBo is really dead? Is it normal that the computer does not turn on or show any sign when I hit the power on button?

Thank you for any insight and sorry for the long post.

2. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A correctly working motherboard should power up without a GPU but I do not expect it to boot, even with a blank screen. If LEDs turn on and the CPU starts warming up the motherboard is working as expected.

UPDATE: Actually, checking your motherboard schematic you are not missing the GPU detect resistor like the EM series, so you should boot to a blank screen with the GPU pulled.

Phylosophys likes this.
  3. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Typically if it does NOTHING that is a pretty strong indicator that the MOBO is done.

Phylosophys likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It might not have been the GPU but a surge from the PSU and most of the power stages between it and the GPU are dead such as the CPU VRM section. The whole board is likely to be a write off.

Phylosophys likes this.
  5. Phylosophys

Reputations:
    Hi Meaker@Sager,

Thanks for commenting.

It seems that also the GPU is dead. I tested the resistances with a multimeter as described in a post I found here, and all the readings indicated that it is in short-circuit. Besides, when I remove the GPU and plug the PSU to the notebook the battery starts to be charged correctly and the PSU LEDs stay on and stable. On the other hand, when I insert the GPU back, the PSU LEDs goes off and it start to do a strange noise and overheat.

What do you think?

6. Phylosophys

Reputations:
    Hi Khenglish,

Thank you for checking the schematics and the information.

Thinking on what you said about the EM series, I am now in doubt. Actually I cannot say with 100% sure that the hardware in my notebook is really that of the HM series. Let me explain why, I bought it in Brazil from a builder that employs the Sager/Clevo hardware, and of everything in the computer, the only thing that says it is a P150HM is a small adhesive tag in the bottom of the chassis with a bar code and the code "P150HM". In fact, it was with this code that some years ago I found out that it was a Clevo.

So, now I have new questions. How I verify if my MoBo is really from the HM series or from the EM series? Is there a way to identify it? And, if it is from the EM series, what are the consequences of the missing the GPU detect resistor?

Again, thank you very much.

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did it ever use optimus?

8. Phylosophys

Reputations:
    Meaker@Sager, please forgive my ignorance, what do you mean by "optimus"?

9. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My EM series is modified to be more like an HM so I am trying to guess at what a true HM model does with no GPU installed.

An unmodified EM system will boot and display an image without a GPU installed.

An HM system will definitely not display an image. It may not even boot. It may just turn on the power LEDs and backlight and do nothing else. I do not know what you mean by "nothing happens" so I am trying to be descriptive on what is expected. There is a huge difference between absolutely nothing, like no power LEDs, backlight, versus the motherboard powering everything up but freezing on startup, which some people may describe as "nothing happens".

Phylosophys likes this.
  10. Phylosophys

Reputations:
    Hi Khenglish,

Well, in my case the "nothing happens" means exactly absolutely nothing, like no power LEDs, no backlight, no fans, no bips.
    So, based on what you described, the MoBo really seems dead :(

There is just something that intrigues me a bit, the fact that even with doing nothing, the MoBo still lets the power reach from the PSU to the battery and charge it. The charging LEDs also indicates when the battery is full. Of course, all this with the notebook turned off. This makes me wonder if the charging circuit is independent of the remaining MoBo circuitry.
    One small question, in your first reply you said you verified the schematics of the P150HM MoBo, could you please tell me if it is possible to find it available on internet?

Thank you very much for taking the time and checking all this details.