Clevo P150EM/P170EM Sager NP9150/9170 backlit keyboard driver beta testers needed

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by klystron34, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildnux

wildnux Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi klystron34

I just found out about this module yesterday. Kudos to you, this is amazing. I have tried packaging it in RPM format for openSuSE linux with dkms support (may work with other rpm based distros also, I dont know), they can be found in my repo here:
    Index of /repositories/home:/wildnux

(exact url for opensuse 12.3 where you can see the rpm: Index of /repositories/home:/wildnux/openSUSE_12.3/noarch)

Do you give permission to package and keep this module in the repo there? I just want to make sure that you are OK with this. Please let me know if I should make any changes there, or if i am not supposed to package it. I will take it down immediately.

1. I renamed the directory to clevo_wmi
    2. I added one text file named version with just "20130306" as content. (its not used anywhere, i just left it there)
    3. I added dkms.conf file with the following contents:

PACKAGE_NAME="clevo_wmi"
    PACKAGE_VERSION="20130306"
    MAKE[0]="make KVERSION=$kernelver"
    CLEAN="make clean"
    BUILT_MODULE_NAME[0]="clevo_wmi"
    DEST_MODULE_LOCATION[0]="/kernel/drivers/acpi"
    AUTOINSTALL="yes"

2. klystron34

klystron34 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not a problem. I released it under the GPL so yuo can freely distribute it. I would have released it under the BSD license but the kernel nazis allow module authors to export things to GPL only licenses. In this case, the WMI stuff.

Anyway, enjoy! I just like my name on things is all. Good for my career. :)

3. wildnux

wildnux Newbie

Reputations:
    I had added klystron34 as Author.. I found your name in the c file, so added it :)

4. Fatbardh

Fatbardh Newbie

Reputations:
    I really apologize to interfere, but i am a beginner and i read the whole thread but it seems to be like a foreign language what you are talking here. I cannot change the keyboard colors with an hotkey control program (the colors are stuck in red) in my Clevo P150em. Perhaps I shouldnt have asked you due to my lack of knowledge but i am really grateful if you could refer me something. This is the program but it wont work properly to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lj7ispiHXk
    I apologize and thank you again!

5. klystron34

Reputations:
    Fatbardh,

This thread is for people changing keyboard colors with a Linux driver I wrote to enable this functionality since Clevo/Sager do not support Linux.

I booted Windows windows however and tested the KB hotkey driver and had success with it. I can tell you that the default colors should be blue. To test this, please unplug your laptop and remove the battery for 30 seconds and put it back in, then reboot. The keyboard should come up blue. If it comes up red then I think you have a problem with your keyboard.

The reason you unplug the battery is the keyboard colors are controlled with the embedded firmware in a microcontroller that is outside of our control. I have had this microcontroller freeze up on me while trying to talk to it in the past to get the keyboard to work and had to pull the battery in order to get the computer to boot up again.

Hopefully your "stuck on red" problem is just a glitch in the microcontroller and pulling the battery will allow it to reset and you will be good again!

6. arpad2

arpad2 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a new Clevo p170em laptop and a xubuntu13.04 installed system on it and only the blue colour works as a keyboard background illumination, with win8 there were more colours.
    So, I am really hopeful that you guys have resolved this issue, however frankly I am illiterate in programming and in linux kernel. So is there any chance for me to get these leds working? I tried the PPA version, but it failed to install anything.
    Thank you so much for your effort and help!

7. klystron34

Reputations:
    Maybe the PPA guy can help you. My guess is that it installs the kernel module. Try installing it and then typing "sudo modprobe clevo_wmi" and then "lsmod" to see if it shows up in the list. If it does it should be working. Read up earlier in the thread to find out how to access the LEDs.

8. pete.h

pete.h Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @klystron34: any news on our bluetooth problem? :)

9. klystron34

Reputations:
    I posted that I had figured out how to turn it off, but actually,I haven't. It shuts off for a moment then comes back on. When it does it's like inserting a usb device and all the modules for it get loaded again. That's really weird....

Update: The really weird thing is it's timed. Sometimes it does nothing, and sometimes it shuts off for a whole second and then comes back on. The fact that the kernel will detect it as a new device being inserted (the bluetooth hciX count keeps going up. I'm on 10 now.) means that I think the EC is doing it.

10. pete.h

pete.h Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    sounds like the same behaviour, as when pushing Fn+F12 (same with Wifi)

What do you mean by EC?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.