Clevo P150EM/P170EM Sager NP9150/9170 backlit keyboard driver beta testers needed

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by klystron34, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pete.h

pete.h Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    what header file do you mean?

2. klystron34

klystron34 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The one I thought I already checked in. Try it now. :)

3. pete.h

Reputations:
    Thanks for adding the file :)

So you think the bluetooth problem is wmi related?
    all I know so far is, our bluetooth got broken somewhere between 3.6 and 3.7-rc1 (and is still broken in 3.8)

4. klystron34

Reputations:
    I'm building 3.7.9 now as it's the latest from Gentoo. I do not know if it's WMI related or not. WMI are simply an identifier and interface to a remote method. In this case the WMI interface is to the WMBB (on our units) ACPI method. ACPI uses byte code from AML to store methods in the bios (or in files) that can be run by any OS. If you look at the dsdt dump there is a comment in there next to a line with 0x67 on it where I say it's the one we care about for the keyboard driver. You can see that it is simply doing some bitwise operations and writing values to the EC. We could write those by hand and remove WMI (and thus the GPL license which I hate) however there is no guarantee they will always work the same way so it is better to use what the manufacturer provides. Likely this interface will be the same even if what it writes to the EC is different.

5. pete.h

Reputations:
    Thanks for the input :)
    So far I have never really done anything with ACPI.

If I'm correct, you should still have the bluetooth problem with the 3.7.9 kernel...

If you have a launchpad account by any chance, you could click "This bug affects you too" :)
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1131976

6. pete.h

Reputations:
    @Penguissimo, could you test a 3.7.0 kernel or newer on your ubuntu, to see if you have the "Bluetooth always on bug" too. Thanks :)

7. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd be glad to, but I don't have any Bluetooth interface on my machine ;) I will get a chance to test everything out later this afternoon, though!

8. klystron34

Reputations:
    I don't have launchpad. It seems that there is no ACPI event generated for the hotkey combo of either wlan or BT. I know that when I first got the laptop and put gentoo on it I could kill the wlan and the BT with the hotkey combo. It is likely that we just need to request those hotkeys. There is another WMI GUID to do that called the CLEVO_EVENT_GUID or whatever as well. You can see this information by obtaining fwts (firmware test set) and running its wmi command.

Thanks for the test, Penguissimo. Let us know if it works for you.

Would anyone like to take a stab at a sysv init style script to save/restore the raw value on reboot?

9. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please forgive my confusion, but I am in a bit over my head. I've got the module compiled, but I'm slightly at a loss as to how it should be installed. modprobe simply throws a "Module clevo_wmi not found" error when I run the command either from within the directory where the compiled module is stored or after copying the module to /lib/modules/3.5.7-03050704-generic/kernel/drivers/acpi/ (the directory that made the most sense to my newbie mind).

I'll try it out on a 3.7 kernel as soon as I get it working on my 3.5 kernel!

10. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can insert it with
    Code:
    insmod path/to/module.ko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.