Clevo P150EM/P170EM Sager NP9150/9170 backlit keyboard driver beta testers needed

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by klystron34, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsl

tsl Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have recently bought a Clevo P150SM-A and I've used this driver to successfully use the backlight. However we only functions that are working are the "random", "LeftRight", "randomflicker", "singlefade", "outmid" and "pattern off".

Brightness, choosing a specific color for a specific part of the keyboard and the FN+/ (or FN+* FN+- FN++) are not working.

If I manually change the "random" for example with sudo su -c 'echo 1 > random' it works fine, my keyboard shows random patterns.

If I change "left" with sudo su -c 'echo 100 > left' the left side doesn't change at all.

I'm willing to help with some testing as I'd really like to improve this driver to work fine on the P150SM as well :)

P.S. I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 and I've compiled this from the source.

Thank you!

2. freechelmi

freechelmi Company Representative

Reputations:
    Big thanks for this valuable driver !

Will test it as soon as I have a backlit clevo

3. Fry-kun

Fry-kun Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same problem.
    Sager NP8268-S (Clevo P150SM-A) and using Fedora 20

P.S. is it possible to burn out the backlight by playing around with values in "raw"? Because after trying a few values for a minute or two, mine stays off now no matter what I do...
    P.P.S. nevermind -- problem lingered after reboot, but not after hard power cycle

4. BabyHuey06

BabyHuey06 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the Clevo P170SM-A and I just installed the repo provided by wildnux and I installed the package dkms-clevo_wmi. How do change the colors on my keyboard now? I just download opensuse 2 days ago and i have it dual booted with windows 7, but i would really prefer to spend all my time on linux and this dark blue backlight gets really boring and kind of annoying at times. to be honest I don't even know what I installed but the summary said "Support for clevo laptop (P1xOEM and others) backlit keyboard/WMI. Is there also a UI that goes with the support or am i going to need to do something in the konsole. Any help will be appreciated, please and thank you.

5. Statik

Statik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've just compiled and installed the module. I can see all of the drivers in the proper location (/sys/devices/platform/clevo_wmi/kbled), I can change the values in the files with sudo su -c 'echo 1 > random' and the like and I can see the values changing in the Caja window (I'm in Linux Mint 17 Mate) but nothing changes for the keyboard. As soon as I insmod'd the driver, my keyboard went dark and nothing seems to budge it.

What can I do? I'm assuming it will come back on reboot as I haven't made the module permanent.

Statik

6. klystron34

klystron34 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You need to write a 1 to "pattern_off" and then you can use left/right/middle.

Try echo "9" > brightness

Someone else wrote this one. For mine there is no UI. Mine was not meant to be a final driver it was just meant to show others how to do it and hopefully someone will do something better.

Someone earlier in the thread wrote a simple UI for it though in Python I think. Look for it.

Sorry for being gone so long, Pete. I have given up on ever turning that stupid light off I'm afraid.

7. l3vi47h4n

l3vi47h4n Newbie

Reputations:
    Not sure how dead of a horse this issue is, I honestly didn't read the whole thread. :p

If you followed the instructions here: kernel - Reverse-Engineer Driver for Multi-colored Backlit Keyboard on Clevo Laptops - Ask Ubuntu

Then my script will work as a nice bridge for you to interface with. You can specify colors as command parameters or as you go.

[Bash] Color Keyboard Script - Pastebin.com

(also copied out below)

Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    #changes keyboard colors on clevo laptops. Tested on P170EM
    #Noah B.

#Prompt for root
    [ "$UID" -eq 0 ] || exec sudo bash "$0" "$@"

off=000
    white=111
    green=100
    red=010
    blue=001
    yellow=110
    purple=011
    aqua=101

left=$1
    l_code=000
    middle=$2
    m_code=000
    right=$3
    r_code=000

#LEFT SIDE

if [ -z "$left" ]
    then 
    	echo "Enter desired color for the left side:
    	(off/white/green/red/blue/yellow/purple/aqua)"
    read -p "Color choice: " left
    fi

eval "l_code=\$$left"

echo $l_code > /sys/devices/platform/clevo_wmi/kbled/left

#MIDDLE

if [ -z "$middle" ]
    then
            echo "Enter desired color for the middle:
    read -p "Color choice: " middle
    fi

eval "m_code=\$$middle"

echo $m_code > /sys/devices/platform/clevo_wmi/kbled/middle

#RIGHT SIDE

if [ -z "$right" ]
    then
            echo "Enter desired color for the right side:
    read -p "Color choice: " right
    fi

eval "r_code=\$$right"

echo $r_code > /sys/devices/platform/clevo_wmi/kbled/right

8. tsl

tsl Newbie

Reputations:

9. Rob2D

Rob2D Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys.
    So I went ahead and followed this guide: http://askubuntu.com/questions/1845...lti-colored-backlit-keyboard-on-clevo-laptops
    It worked and I can change my colours but I can't get the module to load at boot.
    When I try this step:
    sudo cp ~/dev/clevo-wmi-code/clevo_wmi.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/
    I am confronted with the answer: "cp target `/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/' is not a directory.
    I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to this stuff so any advice would be great!

10. Nibodhika

Nibodhika Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, recentley I discovered this kernel module and decided to try it, and first of all: Thank you very much, I have been wanting to control the lights in my keyboard for some time now.

So, now to my situation, I don't really know if my keyboard is a clevo (it's a laptop keyboard, any ideas on how to check this?), but the driver seems to be working (at least a little bit), but just a few things:
    - Brightness seems inverted: 0 puts full brightness and 10 turns the lights off
    - The colors in left, middle, right don't change anything... however setting 10 in any pattern (random, left_right, out_mid, etc) works and actually changes the colors of the different parts.
    - My keyboard has 2 other colors (touchpad and power button)

I have experience as a programmer, but never read a kernel module, and reading through the code was not as intuitive as I thought I might be.

Any tips for understanding it a little better? or any ideas on how to test to set the colors manually, or what might be wrong?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.