Clevo P150EM graphics switching not working

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Zaque, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Zaque

Zaque Newbie

Reputations:
    So I have a XMG P502 PRO, which is a Clevo 150EM, and changed the original 7970M graphics card to a nVidia 970M card. However it seems that most of the applications don't seem to be utilizing the new graphics card and only use the onboard Intel 4400. When I run benchmarks with the task manager open I see no activity under the GPU, however the BIOS says that the video card is the nVidia. When I run Civilization 6, I can choose which graphics card to use inside the program, and that works fine (ie, the GPU shows use when I choose the nVidia and doesn't show any use when I choose the intel). So I know the computer can find the GPU it just won't. Anyone have any idea's? I've already tried a fresh install of Windows 10 and that didn't help it.

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Probably caused by not having working drivers.

You need modded drivers, you cannot use the windows 10 drivers, otherwise u'll suffer from the problem u're describing.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Which drivers did you install?

4. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is just an inherent issue of nVidia as their Optimus used to be better than Enduro nowadays its not true anymore, Enduro has surpassed Optimus by ten thousand times because nVidia just do not give a #/(¤!#%(% about updating it.

Windows 10 is most likely your issue at hand here, you need to provide which GPU driver you have for both the nVidia and the Intel GPU its pretty important as some of the first Windows 10 ones just did not work at all. Also did you go into nVidia's ancient 90s Control Panel and set the nVidia GPU on maximum performance and tried to force it on Civ VI?? Sometimes the switching is really garbage and you need to force it for almost every game I had the same issue with the 675MX and the 1060.

5. Zaque

Zaque Newbie

Reputations:
    To answer your questions
    I used the newest ones from nVidia (397.31) with a modded .inf file.
    The intel driver is (10.18.10.4885) Which I believe is the newest one.

I have tried to force the graphics card to run but it doesn't seem to do anything when I change any settings in the nVidia control panel. One thing I have figured out is that my Bios is way too old (version 1.05), and could be an issue. But now I can't seem to figure out how to flash my bios to the newest ones from Clevo (version 1.17). I made a bootable usb and have tried to boot with it from various ports but none of them seem to work. Anyone have any idea's?

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    What tool did you use to make the bootable drive?

7. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    IIRC, 1.05.01 was the last release for the EM series.

8. Zaque

Zaque Newbie

Reputations:
    I used RUFUS.

I tried to use the HP USB Disk utility but it kept giving me a USB is write protected error.

Well when I went to mysn's website I found what they said was the last BIOS update which had a version number 0217. After looking into it a bit more it seems the 0217 version is direct from Clevo while the 1.05.01XMG veresion that I have is from xmg itself. Can't figure out the difference between the two though.

9. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Could be their own modification, or just the file name. You can ask them about it, or look for a change log with more info.

10. Zaque

Zaque Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah after finally finding some time to do some more digging I found that the 1.05 versions were made in 2016, and I think so that windows 10 runs on the P150EM. But this still leaves me with the issue of not being able to use my 970M. I have tried reinstalling windows 10, as well as reinstalling windows 7, and I just can't seem to get it to work. I know the system can identify the GPU as GPU-Z reports that it is there with all of the correct info. I read somewhere that only certain gpu drivers actally work, as in allowing the gpu to switch out of idle, even if the computer shows that the driver is installed. So I guess I'll just start trying different drivers until something works. I have the newest intel GPU drivers at least.