Clevo P150EM GPU replacement, used as desktop

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by nominal, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nominal

nominal Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a Clevo P150EM that has lived a hard life, and the dGPU has been dead for at least a year now. I'm considering buying a replacement GPU for cheap. I found a Dell/Alienware GTX 770m MXM 3.0a card online for cheap, and considering throwing that in. I already have latest Prema BIOS update.

Questions:
    Is it just plug and play as it seems? Stick in the 770m card, and it works fine?

Can I reuse the old heatsinks?

Are there better options in terms of price/performance? My upper limit on spending is a hard $250. My priority is stability and reliability over outright performance.

Will this setup work for the usage scenarios below?

Usage: Light gaming (AoE 2, Dirt Rally, iRacing, WoT, CS:GO etc.) in 1080p at high/medium settings, programming, and writing.

Mobility: Don't care. The chassis is completely broken beyond all repair, and battery is dead. There are too many broken plastic bits, and I don't care to repair it.

Please do let me know what other information I can provide. Thanks for your time and help!

2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't think Dell cards work on Clevo machines as its something to do with a fan control/temp sensor pin not being active. Also, you need MXM 3.0b not MXM 3.0a

3. nominal

Reputations:
    Ah ok. It looked like they were electrically compatible, but maybe not physically compatible? The fan control/temp sensor issue definitely rules it out though.

As an aside: Looks like the BIOS is very picky about that. I tried running it without the card and it went crazy. Apparently, it thinks the GPU is overheating and shuts down after throwing a fit.

I'll continue searching.

4. nominal

Reputations:
    How do I know if a card has the fan control/temp sensor pin though? What do I need to look for? There seem to be a lot of MSI and Dell parts, but I dont know what to look for in terms of compatibility.

5. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Only Dell AMD cards cannot be used in Clevo systems. Nvidia cards are fine. MSI cards are also fully compatible.

With that said, you cannot use the 700 or 800 series from Clevo, Dell, or MSI without special Bios mods. You can use any 500, 600, or 900 series card with driver .inf mods.

For the 1000 series you cannot get a Clevo card, but any other vendor works. Beware that the MSI 1070 is slightly larger than standard and requires some case cutting.

I recommend getting a 970m, 980m, or 1060. If even the 970m is too pricey you can look for a 965m. Dropping down to the older 680m or 7970m is a large performance drop for not much cost savings.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    t456, Arrrrbol and nominal like this.
  6. nominal

Reputations:
    Thank you for that. I'll narrow my search to 900 series then I guess.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  7. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for clarifying that.

8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Do you happen to know the reasoning behind why the newer kepler don't work?

9. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope. I think the card needs a minor physical mod too. I'm not sure what it is.

Older dell systems were fine when the 700 and 800 series arrived, but all clevo motherboards were updated or replaced.

If you install one in the p150em the card will be error 43 in the device manager after you install the driver.

Danishblunt likes this.
  10. nominal

Reputations:
    GTX 970m prices are crazy. Almost cheaper to build a desktop. 965m is cheaper though. Tough choice.

Beefsticks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.