Clevo Overclocker's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Put the syringe in a plastic bag then put the bag in a cup with hot water awhile before you use it. To soften it. Then squize out a x-cross with paste on the IHS (add an extra small pea sized knob paste in the middle of the cross). Then let the heatsink spread it.
    [​IMG]

Edit. Not all is happy with MX-5 http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...and-liquid-metal.806840/page-80#post-11123679

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  2. Shoemaker

Shoemaker Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Papusan likes this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Always worth having a bit more regular paste than you think, it will spread out and it makes sure you get complete coverage.

4. Shoemaker

Shoemaker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, so I purchased a delidded 10700K that looked like this 74293330-5272-4AC4-9258-8874E0939A01.jpeg when I took it apart. So now that I relidded it I tried it out and it was ok. Not fantastic cool but a degree or two cooler than before. After a repaste or two using Papusans advice on heating the paste I thought maybe I never put on enough LM when I relidded the 10700K. So I took it apart and here are the photos. What do you think?

Attached Files:

5. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The original owner definitely used way too much liquid metal. I'd say your application is better, but still may be too much, although it shouldn't spill out.

The ideal application uses a drop about one fourth to a half the size of a jasmine rice grain, both on the CPU and the IHS. Basically squeeze out the tiniest drop of liquid metal that you can out of the applicator tip. If you can't cover the entire CPU die with it, use a tiny bit more.

With this all said, your application, while I think it's still too much liquid metal, your application should be fine. You'll still get really good temps from that.

Papusan likes this.
  6. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Less is more with LM. Also remember that by adding the silicon gasket you raise the z-height of the IHS, which impacts the contact pressure with the silicon.

Papusan and Clamibot like this.
  7. Shoemaker

Shoemaker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank You for your help Clamibot. I will try again using less.

Clamibot likes this.
  8. Shoemaker

Shoemaker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello jc denton. I thought about the z height when i put a bead along the long side of the die keeping it away from the flange of the IHS. I thought this would allow the silicon to squish inside the IHS and not affect the height. But i was worried that the LM would migrate out at the ends of the die so i put a little on the flange of the IHS beside each end. Was i even right to worry about that? Is there a better way?

jc_denton likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    No need for a silicone gasket around the die. Just use thermal paste/tape on top of the golden contacts. And you have to reduce the amount of liquid metal. Follow @jc_denton's great advice above. If use of orrect amount liquid metal then it shoudn't leave or run away from the die. If you want to relidde (seal the IHS with the pcb) then use as little silicone gasket as possible. All in all... Too much liquid metal/silicone gasket is bad in all ways.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    jc_denton likes this.
  10. Shoemaker

Shoemaker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you for your reply Papusan. I will do what you suggest. As always I am grateful for the help provided by yourself, jc denton, and clamibot. Best regards to all

Papusan, jc_denton and Clamibot like this.